Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166292

Day 4 Part 2

Well lunch was lovely and now it's back to work. Must get a oil filter removal tool, that was a nightmare getting the filter off, and messy.
Ain't a lot of room underneath especially with the draining tray.
Replaced spark plugs and air filter while waiting on the last of the oil to drain from the filter. Just enough time to put new oil filter on and
fill with oil before picking up the better half. No cost to the budget as i already had the service pack.
Next on the list is inspecting the brake discs and pads. i noticed that the discs are well pitted and rusty on the back when i started on the
alternator. I already have the pads for front and rear so the only cost would be the discs. Weather permitting i'll have a look Saturday.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166300

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
When I change t'oil I whip the O/S rear wheel off. Which you may have done. Better access to plug and filter.

You're going pretty much the same track as me: I re-disced all round with new pads and was surprised at the state of the inboard side of the discs: since done, the foot and hand brakes are much better.

Most significant upgrade was polybushing the ARB drop links while all was stripped. Worth considering. Pricey but worth it.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Postman87

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166313

Day 5

Rain forecast for next 2 days. I'm like the Wicked Witch :nonod: of the West so i'll pop over to Falkirk and pick up some new
discs from Eurocarparts. 20% discount on click and collect if you spend over £50 this weekend ( no i don't have
a connection with them i just like a bargain ). It might be an idea to give the brakes a complete service and drain the system and
put some new bleeders on the calipers.
Thanks John and Sue for the suggestion on the polybrushes. I considered them but i think that's for another time and
a bigger budget. Plus i don't enough about them, advantages/disadvantages and whether it would be better to do the whole car.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166318

Well just finished de rusting my rear wheel archers and a bit on the rear sill connecting the wheel arch passenger side
To do, Mask up and paint
Some say polybushing makes the ride a bit more stiff but did not notice my self
John why take wheel off I just get mine on ramps and my filter comes off easy as I don't put it on with much force and it never leeks
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166329

Popped out in the ZS (about 40 miles each way), programmed an extra fob and did a quick diagnostic for a fellow MGFer in exchange for a couple of bits for the MPi.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166336

Pouring with rain so I went up to my 'MG Parts Shed', and spent a couple of hours picking out the bubbles in the paint on my hard top, then filing them with 'knifing putty'. What a shitty job!! I thought there were a few bubbles, clearly caused by a crappy paint job. But oh no.. there were literally hundreds!

Once it is all smoothed, primed and has a coat of black gloss, I am going to cover it with my new Silver Carbon-fiber wrap vinyl... fingers crossed it goes well!

Oh almost forgot.. also ground out the splits in the edges of my side skirts, and bonded it back together with P40.... so these will get the carbon-fiber vinyl treatment too!

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166339

Bubbles in the hard top caused by osmosis?

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166340

Bubbles in the hard top caused by osmosis?

Richard

I suspect so... probably not prepared properly - plus the spray job was truly terrible too.. uneven and not shiny! Good excuse to use the new 5 meter roll of vinyl I have LOL.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166348

Not a good weekend for me MG-wise.
After work on Thursday I was heading to the travel agent to book a family trip to Disneyland when a 4X4 Dodge Ram pickup
decided to change lanes into the lane occupied by my MGF.
I almost managed to avoid him but he nailed the F's left rear quarter panel. :slapme: Said he didn't see me
The profile of the wheel arch lip has been squashed flat so it looks like it's time for a new rear wing skin.
I will be calling the body shop to arrange a quote tomorrow, but on the bright side both he and I have collision coverage.
At least I got us booked for Disneyland! :yesnod:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166350

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
That sux Rich, hope you get it fixed without too many hassles.

Craig

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166356

Nasty, in the UK that would write the car off :(

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 years 1 month ago #166375

I am a bit worried about a write-off but I think I will be OK as MGFs here go for between $5000.-$15,000. Our insurance is run by a government entity and they really don't care for cars that have been imported privately so there is always the chance that they will get pissy and try to write the car off. If they do I will just take what they offer without writing it off and pay the difference to the body shop. The shop I am taking it to is one the insurance corporation authorizes to do estimates and repairs, and is also the only McLaren certified body shop in Western Canada so they know what they are doing. They took a look at the car today and figure they can repair the damage using the existing metal, so no patching required. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the other driver to submit his claim to see how they apportion blame for the accident. I did have my dash-cam running so if there is any doubt I have that to back up my side of the story.
I have the car booked in for repair while we are at Disney so that should work out well.

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT