Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Instrument Binnacle (Cowl?) 10 years 9 months ago #124241

I was able to turn the screws with pliers then push the last bit through so they fell into the ducting.
Then it was easy to pop out the vent grille and fish the screws out with a magnet taped to a piece of wire.
I am getting a replacement dash ready to go into my VVC to replace the original sun-damaged dash.
Unfortunately the new dash arrived with all 3 tabs broken off it's binnacle (Just like the existing one :slapme: )
With the dash on the bench this time I tried drilling access holes in the back of the vent to get at the screws. This is easier said than done as it's hard to guess the angle right so I ended up with some extra holes. Not a big deal as they can be easily plugged.
I have repaired the bits broken off the binnacle with an epoxy filler and made up new tabs from aluminum strips which I riveted in place with flush aircraft rivets.
The last step will be to skin the binnacle in carbon fibre. That is real carbon fibre not a dip or vinyl.

Back view of the dash. The holes with tools in are the proper ones.

The binnacle with the alloy tabs bonded in place prior to riveting.

This vies shows the rivets in place. The repairs to the damaged edge are also visible.

Here is a link to the carbon fibre supplier. Carbon Mods
I plan on using the Skinning Kit (3rd item down)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Instrument Binnacle (Cowl?) 10 years 9 months ago #124261

I was embarrassed by the quality of some of these engineered solutions. I fixed mine with an angled bracket threaded and secured to an existing screw in the centre position. Then drilled a hole through the cowl and inserted a Matt black hex bolt through the cowl into the bracket underneath. Originally had a titanium bolt but the windscreen reflection was driving me nuts so Matt black alternative.

TB
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Instrument Binnacle (Cowl?) 10 years 9 months ago #124268

Great ingenuity, guys!

I took the easy option. Bedded the binnacle onto a run of black silicone sealant under the edge and drilled a small hole through the far centre of the binnacle. Black drywall screw into the dash.
Job done, virtually invisible. :broon: :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Instrument Binnacle (Cowl?) 10 years 9 months ago #124271

I did mine last night using the sticky clips (although I had to use a drop of glue on them as well) and the tie wraps. 4 on the underside of the cowl and 4 on the dashboard directly under them. pull them tight and put it back together for a run. Leaving the broken tabs in place. So no sealing, drilling etc.
Worked a treat no knocking from the cowl as I go over bumps. Bliss
Downside is I can hear all of the lesser rattles in the doors etc. Onward and upward.

Instrument Binnacle (Cowl?) 10 years 9 months ago #125053

By way of an update, I've secured my cowl using plasterboard screws as I couldn't locate the type of screws Rich used so innovatively. These are what I used

I used a dab of contact adhesive as well just to secure them in situ and then screwed through the binnacle tabs using rubber tap washers to try to protect the tabs.

Only downside was that i had to dash out to buy a longer screwdriver to tighten the screws but this is the end result.

No gaps, no rattles - well pleased!

Robin
Robin ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, paulsmgf

Instrument Binnacle (Cowl?) 10 years 9 months ago #125066

Good job
Neat and fixed solid

• Page: