Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54655

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Find the above and the MG Link in 'more ways than one' will become clear. What they brought with them gave MG an unusual 'twist' not an imperial one.

Their I.C.E. was around a long before the transistor.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54671

I think my question was too multi cultural!! :-? :yesnod:

Paul, with your approval I feel this should be set aside and you set another one otherwise we will lose interest.

Machine Gun Kelly and the Red Baron never had such unpopularity and as for for a ruby substitute - well no wonder our sheep sheerer thought cars the future!! :-?

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54696

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
:yesnod: too multi cultural :lol:

OK Mr Forgetful let's save this question for another time.

This seams like a good time to take a quick look at the MG T-Bar Quiz starting grid

Special mention goes to MG mad, mogatrons and paulsmgf who are all new to the MG Quiz but have between them taken almost half the points in the new thread.

Their names now join all the others in the MG Quiz Hall of Fame which I will update monthly from now on.

So, for the second time :whistle: , here is question 14;

1) State the two locations (on the engine) where you could find the engine number, a diagram or photo illustrating these would be nice :broon:

2) What can you tell me about a car with an engine number of 18K 4K P25 XXXXXX where X represents a numerical digit.

Good luck
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by PQD44. Reason: clarity

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54703

Well, there is the sticker on the cambelt cover, and the engine number is also stamped/printed into the block on the exhaust side by the flywheel. I think there is also an engine number on the ladder, but that could be my memory tricking me and it's only a matched number.

18K is 1.8 K series, 4(K) is 4 valve VVC, P25 means 160 VVC, originally fitted with manual gearbox and no aircon.

I had to cheat a little bit for the last bit, but more or less remembered the rest...
96 MGF 1.8i: Project Rally Car
98 MGF Abingdon" 285H cams, modded head etc
87 MG Metro: 1440cc fast road car
88 MG Metro Turbo
70 MG Midget: 1.9L VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
72 MGBGT: Project Speed 6 MGB
05 MG ZT-T 260: wife's sensible car
01 MG ZS 180: LHD, for driving around Germany in

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54705

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
:woohoo: well done Andrew, that is spot on.

What is this talk of cheating????

Looking up information is research not cheating.

If you want to learn more about the meaning of the Engine or VIN numbers take a look at this T-Bar thread ~ MGF/TF QI Facts

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54710

OK then, next question:

Which was the first MG to utilise fully independent suspension, and what else is interesting about it?
88 MG Metro Turbo

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54714

R type circa.1935 - stuck on an interesting fact through

T

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54715

Yep spot on. Interesting facts could have been:

Also first (and I think only) MG to have a "Y" backbone chassis, and was developed as the Q type, with a conventional chassis, wasn't man enough to take the ~136 bhp from the supercharged 746cc engine (some cars I believe ran north of 150bhp).

Also the last purpose-built racing model from Abingdon, as factory racing was shut down by Leonard Lord after William Morris sold MG to Morris Motors (up until then it he had privately owned it as a separate company).
88 MG Metro Turbo

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54720

I think my question was too multi cultural!! :-? :yesnod:

Paul, with your approval I feel this should be set aside and you set another one otherwise we will lose interest.

Machine Gun Kelly and the Red Baron never had such unpopularity and as for for a ruby substitute - well no wonder our sheep sheerer thought cars the future!! :-?

Apologies, too much travelling and enjoying myself at Cholmondeley this weekend.

At a guess I'd say this is to do with Frederick Wolseley and his general manager, Herbert Austin, and their involvement in sheep shearing machines. Austin also had an involvement with Sir Hiram Maxim.

For more details:

Irish born Frederick York Wolseley went to Sydney, Australia aged 17 in 1887 and founded the Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Company Ltd. in Sydney on 25th October 1887. While in Australia he worked at many jobs including being a station owner with a large number of sheep. He returned to Britain in 1889 after suffering manufacturing shortcomings from his sub-contractors. He set up at 58 Broad Street in Birmingham. Wolseley resigned in 1894. Herbert Austin, who had been manager of a engineering company in Australia, had suggested improvements to the shearing machines and returned to England in 1893 as a Wolseley employee. He was employed as an engineering inspector. Austin arranged the move in 1895 to larger premises at Sydney Works, Alma Street, Aston, Birmingham. In around 1896 Austin travelled to France to look at their motor industry. He liked the Léon-Bollée three-wheel voiturette and was soon building his own version, called the "Autocar Number One". It was advertised at £110 (UK Pounds) but only one was made. His second car was completed in 1897. A new company was formed in 1901; The Wolseley Tool & Motor Car Company Ltd. under the auspices of Vickers Sons & Maxim Ltd. and a new factory at Adderley Park, Birmingham was acquired to build Wolseley cars. In their first year Wolseley built 323 cars at the Birmingham factory while further cars were produced at the Crayford site. The Birmingham factory had been constructed in 1897 for Starley Brothers & Westwood Ltd. who were in the cycle trade. Austin applied for his first patents from these works in May 1901 for a handbrake mechanism and a pre-selector gearbox. Austin also patented a central steering motor body in January 1902.

Austin helped Sir Hiram Maxim (Inventor of the machine-gun) build a giant steam plane during the 1890's and Maxim's associates, Vickers, Sons & Maxim bought Wolseleys car division during 1901.

Plans were submitted to enlarge the works in February 1902 and further expansion occurred in most of the following years. Herbert Austin resigned in 1905 to start the Austin Motor Company Ltd. in Longbridge. Design now came under Siddeley influence and cars were marketed as Wolseley-Siddeleys.

After Austin left the company Alfred Remington made the patent applications. Remington was a draughtsman with The Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Company in 1900 and by 1902 was its Chief Draughtsman. Born in 1877 Remington designed the first submarine to use an internal combustion engine. He left Wolseley in 1920 due to ill health and died in 1922.

By 1909 Wolseley were building engines for rail cars, aircraft and marine uses. During the years 1909 and 1910 they expanded into the adjacent premises, Britannia Works, which had previously been used by Brown, Marshalls & Company Ltd. who had built railway carriages and were also waggon builders. (NB: double "G" is the correct spelling).

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #54722

150 BHP out 748cc in 1935 would be frightening.....

do you have any other good questions as i have to do some work now and I don't want to hold up thread.

T

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT