Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140598

Hi

Ive got a '02 MG TF. Im tempted to remove the original radio and replace it with a more modern one. I cant for the life of me work out how it comes out. Has anyone got any pointers please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140600

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Most modern head units need special tools to remove them, the tools consist of a pair of probes (they sometimes look a bit like keys) that you stick down each side of the head unit once the escutcheon (surround piece or bezel) is removed. the two probes release the pawls that hold the head unit in place an act as handles to withdraw the unit from the dash.
Some head units have a pair of small holes on each side of the face, for these the tools you use tools that look like "U" shaped bits of wire with small knobs on the end.
Once the head unit is out of the dash you can unplug the electrical connections.
Here is a pic of a selection of tools a professional installer or an audio enthusiast would use:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markw

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140602

the factory one in the mkII F (BMW unit) has a flap on each end, pop these out and there is a tiny allen bolt, undo this and the unit slides free.

if its not oem post a pic and ill tell you which you need. :yesnod:

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140603

Thanks both - looks like I will have to sport the cash to get someone to do it for me as I havent got those tools.

It seems to me to be the original OEM one. Dont get me wrong it works fine - just that I thought an upgrade would be good.

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140608

some units have a slot on each side - this doesnt require tools, a slice of credit card or similar will work.

ebay and others sell tool packs for head units for not much. or maybe someone might be nearby you who could help?

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140609

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
If you can identify the make and model of the head unit, you can buy the tools to suit it for loose change, have search on ebay.
Or maybe someone on here might have the tools to help you out, they may've got a set so as they remove the old unit in their car to upgrade it and they don't need the tools anymore.
I have a full set of them, and I'd me more than happy to help you out, but as I'm in Oz I'm a bit far away.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140611

Lol thanks for the offer - a bit far that.

Ill post up a pic of it so it can be identified.

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140612

I find that a couple of nail files (metal ones) works for the ones that need flat 'blades' at each side to release, and a wire coat hanger cut in two and bent in to two U shapes works for ones that need 'peg' types releasers..... I sound like a radio theif now!

:nonod:

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140654

Invalid or non-existent item ID.I've just posted this on .org regarding a guy who had the original CD player but wanted to update it, so I offered this as an option, it keeps the original head unit but gives you iPod/iPhone usability.......

OK bud, if it's the original look you want, and not wanting to spend too much money.......

Then if your head unit looks like this...

Then the wiring/plugs will come out the back like this...

Which is a standard (at the time) BMW connector to ISO via a short length of wire (so that they could fit it into the MGF and others without changing the radio, just different badges on the front)

Subsequently you can fit this adaptor that plugs in the back between the adaptor cable and the CD player, then has a lead that'll plug into the iPhone (or any other device that has a 3.5mm jack point)

Hope that is of help to you, oh yeah and only £28.65!
Dave

EDIT**

To add a bit more info and possible choice for you
The option above will allow you to listen to your music through the CD player and your speaker set up, but you will have to control it via the iPod/iPhone/iPad etc.
This option will allow you to control it via the CD player (to some limited degree)...
ROVER 25 45 MG TF ZR ZS MGF IPOD INTERFACE ADAPTOR
Completed

This also includes an adaptor (30 pin) for the iPhone 3gs/4/4s (and iPods/iPads) with the 12v charging instead of the 5v charging of the earlier ones. There are other adaptors available for the new 8 pin version for the latest iPod/iPhone/iPads.

HTH

Dave

Last edit: Post by DavesZed.

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140662

Thanks Dave that gives me another option.

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140711

Attachments:

Radio Removal 10 years 1 month ago #140714

Whereabouts are you Mark, if you are local I'll happily help you take the head unit out.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Markw

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.846 seconds