Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Advice on selling my 2002 TF 115 9 months 2 weeks ago #203056

I’m sorry to be negative about Bangers & Cash, it’s a program designed to entertain folk like ourselves who have more than just a passing interest in cars.
It has been said that there are two sorts of visitors to the auctions, those who are looking to pay less than market value to turn a quick profit & those who hope to get on TV.
I don’t altogether agree with those sentiments but I don’t think it’s a good route to valuing your car.
The other aspect & it’s along similar line, have the figures banded about distorted the market, if someone comes to view your car & negotiations are in progress how often will Bangers priced be sighted.
I have no idea if Salvage Hunters skewed the expectations in the antiques game but I would like to bet things are different post S/H than before.
M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Advice on selling my 2002 TF 115 9 months 2 weeks ago #203060

Go to the website and check the sold prices. It's a car auction, just the same as anywhere else.

Advice on selling my 2002 TF 115 9 months 2 weeks ago #203064

You are indeed correct it is a car auction & I’ve no doubt car auctions have had to brush up on their reputations from when I was familiar with a couple around me. The owner was always bristling with cash & I have no doubt he sold almost all the bangers in the district. But they are still car auctions which is primarily a way to shift a car quickly & for a dealer to spot a potential profit. If you had a car on which you had lavished time & money would an auction like Bangers be your desired route to its disposal.
There’s a gulf between where we operate & where real auction money is made, are cars were doomed almost from the outset due to engine, other issues & our galant motoring press who have always preferred foreign exotica to home grown offerings.
Those of us who have stuck with our cars & have looked after them are reaping the rewards in reliability which should have been available from square one.
Better gaskets, low water warnings, better brakes etc. In a parallel world the MGf & tf’s would be lovingly pushed across the block to achieve the values that a really good one should command, but we don’t.
Obviously it’s up to the owner how & where they dispose of their car but for me Bangers & Cash is a great throw away line for a reality TV program & in my opinion is not a good template for putting a value on a car.
Finally if you were to compare their list of sale prices with what was once considered the grail book on car pricing, Glasses Guide, would a correlation be seen?
There has be a comment on another thread about healthy debate informing & educating. If you are willing to comment on a site like T-bar you hold a opinion, sometimes to the point of being opinionated, you have one view with which I do not hold & that is just fine.
M

Advice on selling my 2002 TF 115 9 months 2 weeks ago #203072

And you say that I'm opinionated? Thats rich after your rant. You completely miss the point, I mentioned this website as a general guide, because the OP was looking for some idea of how to price his car. I was not saying that Mathewsons were the Bible of car prices.

Advice on selling my 2002 TF 115 9 months 2 weeks ago #203073

We will never agree on this one & that's fine, however when you say that I've completely missed the point, I fear you may not be used to my Style. I was not implying that it was you who were opinionated, I was turning the lens on myself, self deprecation is my stock in trade & not only on here, my tongue is firmly in my cheek for the most part. I've spent my life doing serious stuff, thus I see my retirement as a time to laugh, joke & generaly taking the piss. Where there's a signicant divergence is the choice of B&C as your bell wether; general auction values are also published on the Internet & some of these are an aggregations of a number. The price / cost of a car will always find a level & that depends on the buyers, an auction is the pressure cooker of car prices which depress prices & that's because the sale prices are governed solely by buyers, there's no interplay between buyer & seller, one should be working to buy for as little as possible the sellers aim should be the maximum. And if that's not an opinium what is?

Advice on selling my 2002 TF 115 7 months 3 weeks ago #204059

The Blue Gnu is now sold

I still have the black one so am not leaving the forum ( who just said pity?! )
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT