Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 14 years 6 months ago #177

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Hi,
So having known a few people who have had problems with the dubious quality of these OE nuts and the unlocking key, I thought I'd better check the nuts on our MGF.
The nuts were showing some signs of wear, so I ordered a set of McGards Locking nuts.

The new locking nuts arrived and I went to swap them today. Took the first one off and replaced it with the new shiny one, no problem. However, on the second wheel, the key suddenly slipped round! I took it off and found this- Spot what's wrong here!

Mmm, not too impressed with the quality of OE.

Using a socket hammered onto the locking nut, I managed to get it off, but it now looked like this.Pretty soft metal!

*A quick tip to remove the now mangled nut from your socket.*
Once the nut is loosened, re-tighten it finger-tight on the bolt and using a long bar in the socket, a bit of leverage back and forth will soon loosen the nut in the socket. (I also found a 12mm spark plug socket ideal, as the longer socket made it easier to hammer on straight.)

So, does anybody want to buy a slightly used set of locking wheel nuts?
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: photo link

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 11 months ago #23235

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
So today,I went to take off the rear wheel to adjust the alternator belt.
Fitted the key into the McGard lock nut and CRACK!

Check out the key. Fractured!

Cue mad scramble to find the card with the code on it.:lol: Thank the lord, I'd kept it safe!

Ordered a new key from the McGard website, Germany - 18 euros.(That's our nearest supplier)
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 11 months ago #23248

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I'm beginning to think the common factor here is you. :P

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 11 months ago #23267

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
I don't know my own strength!:rofl:
David

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 11 months ago #23278

I torque locking nuts to" me pushing down" on them, the other nuts get a "gentle stand on the end of the wrench", seems to work well.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 10 months ago #24284

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Well, McGard are sending me a new key. After I had to send them a photo of the locknuts in question. :-?
McGard do not recognise the 8 number code supplied with the MGR McGard locking nuts.

Anyway I've decided to take them off permanently and just use normal nuts. As the MGR nuts are a weird combination of steel nut with a chromed cover that eventually come loose, I've decided to replace them with all-new wheelnuts.
Theses ones that I saw recommended by Sniperpenguin.
16 x ALLOY WHEEL NUTS MGF MGTF MG TF MGZR ZR MGZS [A1]
Completed

They are zinc coated hi-tensile steel so should last a bit better than the originals. :thumbsup: BARGAIN! :thumbsup:
David

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 10 months ago #24286

• Visitor
  • Visitor

McGard do not recognise the 8 number code supplied with the MGR McGard locking nuts.:

WTFF!!

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 10 months ago #24289

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

McGard do not recognise the 8 number code supplied with the MGR McGard locking nuts.:

WTFF!!

Good eh?

I had to send a photo of the card and the locknuts to them before they sent out a replacement key. Fingers crossed that it fits.:lol:

This was a lock nut set purchesed from Xpart via another forum's online shop.:shrug:
David

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 10 months ago #24381

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
The new locking nut arrived on Saturday and I was able to attempt the removal process.

I managed three OK, but the one that I'd broken the key on originally would not shift. :nonod: I tried everything, but it would not give up. In the end I decided to use my 240 volt impact driver, even though you shouldn't. :whistle:

Hmmm, 450nm and it still wouldn't shift! :rant: :rant: This is the last time I let a Gorilla put tyres on a car of mine!:lol:

Next step is to take it to a garage and see what they can do.:shrug:

Either that or Dremel a cut across the face and whack it with a cold chisel and a big 'ammer!
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: more info

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 10 months ago #24561

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Well the locking nut is off!

The garage couldn't get it off, but they knocked fuck out of the alloy wheel. :rant:

So I drilled down at two places and whacked it with a narrow pointed cold chisel and a big 'ammer..
David

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 10 months ago #24562

that showed it :thumbsup: . Is the rim badly damaged from the garage 'avin a go ??
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Re: Locking Wheel nuts - How to remove/replace damaged 12 years 10 months ago #24564

Well, McGard are sending me a new key. After I had to send them a photo of the locknuts in question. :-?
McGard do not recognise the 8 number code supplied with the MGR McGard locking nuts.

Anyway I've decided to take them off permanently and just use normal nuts. As the MGR nuts are a weird combination of steel nut with a chromed cover that eventually come loose, I've decided to replace them with all-new wheelnuts.
Theses ones that I saw recommended by Sniperpenguin.
16 x ALLOY WHEEL NUTS MGF MGTF MG TF MGZR ZR MGZS [A1]
Completed

They are zinc coated hi-tensile steel so should last a bit better than the originals. :thumbsup: BARGAIN! :thumbsup:

Let me know hew these are, I think I might change all of mine since gorrila boy goosed all of mine.......

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds