Sign In   Register

Topic

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 11 years 3 months ago #102295

I've had a tough decision to make on my engine setup, but I've made it now - I'll be selling my throttle bodies, 1444 cams, solid lifters/double valve springs etc... I'll probably have to remove the Air Con too :(

What could possibly pursuade me to do this?! A Supercharger conversion :D

The plan will be to swap the pistons in the Scholar block for low compression ones and bolt on a certirfugal supercharger along with a charge cooler.

Should keep me busy for the summer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack of Hearts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 11 years 3 months ago #102314

Awesome! :broon:

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 11 years 3 months ago #102316

Indeed, now if he could just get his finger out and fit it ;)

You going to build up your donar as a daily so you can build your new lump with a new frame?

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 11 years 2 months ago #104313

Had a blast at FRL and drove to Coventry for Stoneleigh last Sunday. About half way there, the car started to run on 3 cylinders. I managed to get there and home again on 3 and took Monday off to investigate.

Compression test showed 3 very healthy cylinders and one with no compression at all. Adding oil to the bore didn't change the result, so I was fairly confident that it wasn't a bottom end problem.

Took the head off and this is what I saw!

It wasn't too much of a surprise to see all the oil there - the engine has been burning oil for a while and came off the engine out of my Metro which must've covered 70k since it's last refresh. It was fitted to the TF last year (again in an emergency!) when a cambelt roll pin sheared and the cam pulley slipped munching a valve.

Luckily I had a spare cylinder head in the garage which had been acid dipped, valve shrouding removed and seals replaced/built up - it was destined for the TF anyway to cure the oil burning, but I'd rather have fitted it under my own terms!

All back up and running now :)
Attachments:

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 11 years 2 months ago #104370

Glad your back up and running.

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 11 years 2 months ago #104590

Put all the interior trim back in today, but was having a few troubles with it stalling just after starting especially in the morning. Scratched head a lot before plugging in code reader to see it had no air intake temperature reading.

Some poking around and swearing revealed that it wasn't plugged in. I guess this answers the questions about whether the TMAP sensor measures air temperature on early MEMS3 (mine's 02) engines.

Sold off lots of parts from the garage and I've ordered a set of 82mm low compression pistons. I'll start to post pictures of nice car parts as they arrive :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 10 years 9 months ago #123383

It's been a long time since I updated this, but not much has changed on the car really - just the usual wear/tear.

I did managed to pick up an excellent condition full leather passenger seat. Since I'd already swapped the driver/passenger side covers around I now have a set of seats with very little wear :)

I changed my piston order to 82.50mm diameter to go in a VGK Block to give a true 1900cc and they've been sitting in the hall since I moved house. Rods have arrived too, but they're in the garage. I have also picked up a brand new crank so things are coming together slowly.
Attachments:

My TF160 (and the demise of my Metro) 10 years 9 months ago #123396

So that's what a new piston looks like! :P
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT