Sign In   Register

Topic

New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29575

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
With just over a week to needing a new MOT the OEM exhaust began to blow. I had been thinking about a new exhaust at some stage so I wasn't too disappointed, however the timing could have been better.

Having been to a couple of meets now and having heard most of the exhausts available it was time to make a decision.

Trying to get people to agree on which exhaust is best is an impossible task, my logic ran like this.

A.) I don't want something too loud, I do like my neighbours and leave home at silly o'clock in the mornings so didn't want to alienate them. This ruled out nearly all TT's

B.) Having sat behind some F/TF's droning loudly, I did not want to end up with a headache on long journeys, so it had to be something from the quieter camp.

C.) Once described as getting wasps in two empty tin cans and sticking them over your ears, I definitely did not want anything with a high pitched rasp, so that ruled out Miltek.

D) As I only originally paid £850 for my car I was not prepared to pay almost half that again for the Daytona, so that went also, plus to be honest it sounded nice but didn't really do much for me personally.

E) Toyosport, had some mixed reviews sounded good when I had heard them and there was an auction on ebay for one which I eventually won for £147. Choice now made.

Am I pleased? I should say so. Despite being slightly put off by some comments on the Toyosport, what I have had delivered is of a very good quality and finish, (complete with gasket and ss bolts which are not mentioned as being supplied by Toyosport)

Very well balanced on good quality hangers the exhaust was easy to fit and with nice finishers as standard (unlike Daytona which you have to buy separately) it looks very good in my opinion.

Sound? :thumbsup: now it sounds like a sports car. Wonderful deep rich sound which pops and burbles in all the right places and gets loud when you want it to. Cruise along in top and there is just a quiet low tone.

I will get a sound clip up as soon as I can, but if you were in doubt about the Toyosport, I reckon you should give it some serious consideration.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tigger, mowog73, Leigh Ping, KentJohn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29577

Certainly looks good quality and for that price... BARGAIN
I look forward to the sound file! :thumbsup:
David
:shrug:

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29581

I am really pleased your happy with your Toyosport exhaust. I fitted one on my F and I am more than happy with it. I like you wanted something that was similar to OE but in stainless but also a little louder. The more expensive exhaust didnt interest me because they where all to damn loud and if the toyosport was in the same price range as the others it would still have been my desired choice. As for all that negative feedback about the toyosport its all rubbish. ENJOY. :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tigger, PQD44

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29583

Very tempted to opt for this too now - had been put off by negative reports elsewhere.

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29584

On my '96 "F" I have the Toto S/S manifold and flexipipe combo - which are excellent. No fitting problems at all. I'm very impressed with the external welding (a great improvement over standard items with internal lumpy welds). However there is a rumour that the Toyo back box doesn't have the original hanger fitments - which is a bent wire welded to the n/s of the box and on the o/s two studs to accept a removable plate (which carries a welded on bent wire). Exactly what comes with a Toyo back box in this regard? Also what kind of Catalytic Converter have folk fitted to their Toyo back boxes please?

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29585

On my '96 "F" I have the Toto S/S manifold and flexipipe combo - which are excellent. No fitting problems at all. I'm very impressed with the external welding (a great improvement over standard items with internal lumpy welds). However there is a rumour that the Toyo back box doesn't have the original hanger fitments - which is a bent wire welded to the n/s of the box and on the o/s two studs to accept a removable plate (which carries a welded on bent wire). Exactly what comes with a Toyo back box in this regard? Also what kind of Catalytic Converter have folk fitted to their Toyo back boxes please?

My Toyosport box came with the hangers in situ. Both hangers were welded on the sides of the chamber, there is no adjusting bracket. One hanger was perfectly positioned and shaped and slid straight into the rubber holder. The other hanger was again perfectly positioned but had to be bent slightly for it to be held by the rubber holder. The hangers are the same size in diameter as the original hangers and are made of stainless bar or silver steel. I had to apply some heat to bend it to shape it wont cold form. As for the Catalytic converter my car is before 2001 so wont need a type approved cat so I have a £40 one of ebay and it works fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, xad3888, Leigh Ping

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29586

Thanks guys!
This is good info for those of us who would like a stainless exhaust that makes near to OEM noise levels.
I have headers and a straight through exhaust on my TR7 and it's just too bl**dy loud! I don't want to install an exhaust on my MGF only to find it spoils the enjoyment of my car.

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29588

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Certainly looks good quality and for that price... BARGAIN
I look forward to the sound file! :thumbsup:

Yes I too consider it a bargain.

As for a sound file :whistle: This is on a mobile phone so the quality is not great, also there is a ....... 'commentary' by Saul :lol: which I did not know about until we got home.

Link to the sound file

Paulontour - I agree, the negative comments are not justified, they sell lots of these exhausts and the vast majority appear to be very happy.

Tigger - I had also seen negative reports but you can't please all the people all the time. As the posts here prove there are obviously also many satisfied customers. The right exhaust for you, only you can decide. Get to meets and listen to the exhausts - both stationary and on the move, ask owners what model is it they have and do they have a standard CAT or a through pipe.

xad3888 - you said "there is a rumour that the Toyo back box doesn't have the original hanger fitments - which is a bent wire welded to the n/s of the box and on the o/s two studs to accept a removable plate (which carries a welded on bent wire). Exactly what comes with a Toyo back box in this regard?"

It is not a rumour the Toyosport does not have an adjustable hanger it has two fixed hangers. I checked they were aligned, inserted one side and then slackened the mount on the car body on the other side, slid the rubber on the hanger, moved it back in position and tightened it up. Job done - no big deal. :broon:

Rich in Vancouver - The sound of the Toyosport is louder than the OEM, however I reckon it makes the MGF sound the way you expected it to sound in the first place, if that makes sense. It is not 'loud' in the "that's a noisy exhaust" sense. I'll shut up now because I'm beginning to make less and less sense. :blink: :silly:

Seriously Rich, I do not believe you would fit this exhaust and then think your enjoyment of the car is in any way deminished. This would I sincerely believe enhance your enjoyment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xad3888, Leigh Ping

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29589

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
OK this is not mine, as you can possibly tell, but probably better quality sound file.

It is extremely hard to get the sound of a large SS box with twin 3" pipe exhaust out of a PC/Laptop, so these clips are only a very rough approximation.

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29593

• Visitor
  • Visitor
all of our new cars have these toyosport systems.they look good,the brackets have to be fitted by undoing the rubbers,and we always remove the heat shield to show system off.we get them for around £160 mark.they make a bit of noise,they look good and for that money you cant go wrong.with performance parts you always get what you pay for.if some one is good with a welding torch got a daytona system going cheap.

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29595

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
dazlightyear, do you remove the whole heat shield or just the rear section?
Would have thought without a heat shield you would fry anything left in the boot on a longish journey :unsure:

Re: New Toyosport Exhaust - New MOT :-) 12 years 7 months ago #29598

Rich in Vancouver - The sound of the Toyosport is louder than the OEM, however I reckon it makes the MGF sound the way you expected it to sound in the first place, if that makes sense. It is not 'loud' in the "that's a noisy exhaust" sense. I'll shut up now because I'm beginning to make less and less sense. :blink: :silly:

Seriously Rich, I do not believe you would fit this exhaust and then think your enjoyment of the car is in any way deminished. This would I sincerely believe enhance your enjoyment.

Cheers, A bit louder than stock is fine, sporty is good. The TR is actually louder inside than out. It sounds like a fighter plane!
My old blown ZA Magnette was bad enough that I had an additional resonator installed. That made it bearable to drive for a distance. Of course, on the MGF, there isn't any available pipe to add another silencer!
I really love the sound of my Pipersport intake! :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT