Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 6 months ago #16563

Its well known that the LE500 has problems with its reverse sensors usually sounding continuously when its wet, once reverse gear is selected.

MG have replacements but apparently these are on back order and have been for some time, in addition when replacements are fitted, they need to be painted to match the bumper.

On my car, the reverse sensors would only play up occasionally but still annoying when it happened. I know I could have had the problem sorted under warranty but my nearest dealer is quite distant and after chatting with them previously about getting touch up paint and how difficult the vibrant orange is to match, I was not confident they could paint new sensors that would match.

Instead I decided to have a go at fixing them myself and after testing for the last 3 months, it has worked.

First the rear bumper needs to be removed, this has been covered many times before so I have not detailed this method again, follow CJJ's guide here http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=288282

The only extra thing to do is locate the large multi-plug that powers the reverse sensors and unplug before the bumper is lifted away.

Next place the bumper on a soft surface and locate the components – the black circles show the 3 reverse sensors, the red circles show the 2 number plate light connector plugs

Give the various plugs and sensors a clean then seal the ends of the plugs to prevent water and moisture getting in. I used Arldite but would expect silicon sealant to do the same job.

The rear of the sensors also require to be sealed

Allow the Arldite to set then seal the plug connectors with insulating tape

Then re-fit the bumper.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 6 months ago #16564

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Top post mate. Let us know if it copes long term.

How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 6 months ago #16565

Nice one! This problem also occurs on aftermarket rear sensors, and I think that this would be a cure for them too. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 6 months ago #16566

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice simple fix!! well done. Shouldnt really happen int he first place though....doesn't it rain in china?

How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 6 months ago #16568

Excellent tip! When I fit Megs reverse sensors I got from Aldi I will do it first!

How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 6 months ago #16613

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Water is always the enemy on cars.

Re: How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 3 months ago #20593

Thought I should post an update to this as the original mod to the sensors was done in August 2010 and I used the TF through some wet and snowy weather right up until it was SORN'D in December, no further issues with the sensors - all working perfectly.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young

Re: How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 13 years 3 months ago #20594

Having suffered from this on another car (Peugeot), this fix worked on that too.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 12 years 2 months ago #43146

A further update on this one. My TF is now back on the road after being SORNED over the winter, the reverse sensors are working in that they detect objects and bleep faster and go continuous when the object is close but as soon as reverse gear is selected, the bleep starts even when nothing is behind.

I removed the bumper to investigate and found one of the sensor connectors to be full of water despite it being wrapped in insulating tape. I have dried out the connections and refitted everything but they still want to bleep all the time. :(

As a short term measure to shut them up I have unplugged the bleeper - its located inside the rear view mirror, just prise off the mirror front, unscrew the bleeper and unplug. The bleeper is shown circled in red below

I will see if they settle down in a few days, if not I think it might be better to ditch the MG sensors and fit a kit from ebay :unsure:
MG TF LE500 27 of 500
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 12 years 2 months ago #43151

why not buy a decent kit with good connectors instead of the problematic mg ones :slapme:
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Re: How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 12 years 2 months ago #43156

I did this mod on my 85th and they now work perfectly.

the control unit is also easy to access its in the boot on the right looking from behind behind the carpet.

Re: How to repair faulty reverse sensors on the TF LE500 12 years 2 months ago #43345

My door lock actuator failed and when I took it in I had a moan to the dealer about the sensors as mine were replaced under warranty last year and were no better than before. I am now assured that the latest kit being sent out is an improvement and has done away with any connection plugs at the back. I'll wait and see when I get it back on my return from overseas later this week. So far, though the MG6 front and rear sensors work beautifully with no hint of any mis-behaviour so I don't why NAC used such nasty cheapies if SAIC have managed to get it right.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT