Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38823

Omg I love it! Looks really really good :broon:

And I've been looking on the plastidip website and seen the colour options... http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?type=Domestic_Solutions/Plastidip&stage=1

Considering I've been moaning about needing a respray for I don't know how many years, this has really got me thinking ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Luckymarine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38824

About £150 to buy enough cans to get a full respray in the yellow or whatever colour you want in matte but they are bringing out a glossifier, this goes over the matte colour and makes it gloss. Double the amount of coats double the durability probably double the cost but still way less then you'd pay for a respray.

I put mine on over the course of 3 days,
Outside
Had to contend with wind blowing dust up every now and then,
It drizzled a bit one day
It was frosty over both nights

For the finish I managed to achieve it feels like cheating....
I'm sure there with be vinyl wrappers and proper spray painters after my head soon...
The following user(s) said Thank You: fast jan, Leigh Ping

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38826

I'm sick of yellow so would go for something completely different I think.

I like the look of the shade of red on the website, but having seen it on the inside of your doors I realise it comes up much brighter than it looks... Fluorescent green might be ok, or fluorescent purple just to be different...!

Have you any previous experience of spraying or were you a complete novice? Approx how long does a coat take to dry? I'm just thinking I could spray a panel at a time in the comfort of a heated bay at work :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38827

The red is a little bright, the more coats you get on the darker it becomes, first coat went on almost pink. I was close to just wiping it all off!!!

With the amount it cost and the fact that you can just peel it off whenever you might as well go for a pretty outlandish colour!

I have never painted anything with wheels on in my life, and definatly no experience with rattle cans! The coats take about 5 mins to dry to the point where you can put another coat on. It takes about 24 hours to fully cure.

If I had access to a decent sized garage it would have helped, less of the paint would have been lost to the wind! ha!

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38828

Having seen how easy it is to remove, I'm even more tempted now.

So you reckon about 14 cans in total (car only, not wheels) would do it?

Last edit: Post by fast jan.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38830

The more coats put on the better the finish and the easier it comes off. If its put on too thin then it just shreds when you try to peel it off.

Yea 14-15 cans should be enough, should leave a can left over for touching up should anything happen.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38852

Its been a while since we've given out an award.
So the first Baldrick award of the year goes to Luckymarine for this brilliant idea :broon:

:woohoo: Well deserved. Congratulations. :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: fast jan, Luckymarine

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38905

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I'm sick of yellow so would go for something completely different I think.

I like the look of the shade of red on the website, but having seen it on the inside of your doors I realise it comes up much brighter than it looks... Fluorescent green might be ok, or fluorescent purple just to be different...!

Have you any previous experience of spraying or were you a complete novice? Approx how long does a coat take to dry? I'm just thinking I could spray a panel at a time in the comfort of a heated bay at work :lol:

Gone on do it, we need a women who can on here, and you would do a fab job :broon:

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #39022

Gone on do it, we need a women who can on here, and you would do a fab job :broon:

I'm not sure about doing a fab job, but let's face it my bodywork is shabby at best so anything would be an improvement :lol:

The only thing I'm a little unsure about is the matt finish - I might wait until the gloss is available, I guess for myself, I prefer a slightly more standard look and black is certainly a colour I have considered when thinking of a respray . I think black would also work well with leaving the door jams yellow - but to make a 'copy cat' version would take too much of the originality away from this.. so I need to ponder on it a while before jumping in with both feet (for a change) :yesnod:

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #39028

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Well whatever you do I am sure it will look fab, and be far cheaper than a respray :yesnod:
I will make the tea, take photos and be generally useless, as usual ;)

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT