Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Starting engine with pscan connected - but Live Data does not change 1 year 6 months ago #200191

Hi all.

Yet another newby question (sorry!).

I have pscan connected OK to my SPI Mini. Ignition on but engine not running and Live Data readings all appear OK on my laptop.

When I start the engine the Live Data readings do not change. The Engine Speed reading is still "0" and the other readings that should change don't, no matter how long I let things run - e.g. Coolant temperature.

Clicking on the Back button on the laptop display does nothing and even the "X" (top right) has no effect.

I tried this a couple of times, disconnecting everything, switching off the engine, starting from scratch, but the same happened. I was stuck in a loop.

So, leaving the car engine running, I disconnected the pscan from the car, disconnecting its power supply, and then reconnected. I ignored the instruction on the laptop display to switch off the ignition and clicked on "Next" - and got the Live Data to display with the engine running. Revving the engine resulted in a changed display on the laptop. But disconnecting the pscan to do it seems a bit brutal.

I have read posts that explain that there will be no operator manual for the pscan - so can someone please help me understand what I am doing wrong? Why does my data not change when I start the engine? Why can I not go Back to the options to select Live Data again?

Sorry again. Totally new to psan and this Forum.

Many thanks,

Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Starting engine with pscan connected - but Live Data does not change 1 year 6 months ago #200194

Most likely when you crank the starter motor it is interrupting the voltage supply to the pscan to the extent that it's causing something in the system (either software and/or hardware) to lock up.

This is the downside of a design decision that was made at the beginning to power the interface from the car rather than the laptop.

It might be that you have a weak battery, or it might be that Mini wiring causes voltage spikes at the diagnostic socket.

It's probably best to start the engine first, and then plug the pscan unit it and start the software.

I need to look at making things a bit more robust to self recover but it's a complicated bit of software.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jersey Bill

Starting engine with pscan connected - but Live Data does not change 1 year 6 months ago #200195

Thanks Philip.

I'll do as you suggest. The main thing is that I do get the readings - just don't want to do any damage to the unit by unplugging it.

Cheers!

Bill

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT