Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196722

I have a 2001 MGF 1.8 VVC TROPHY 160. I have recently purchased it as my 2001 135 MGTF was written off in an accident recently.This seems to be running ok at the moment.
I also have 1998 1275 Rover Mini Cooper sportspack. It has developed two problems ,,1,,the SRS light has come on. I have replaced a faulty Squib on the steering column,but the light still remains illuminated...Problem 2 ..it cuts out ,,,when it likes ,,,where it likes,,,sometimes after a mile ,,,othertimes after 20 miles..
So now i get tothe question.....Will the pscan.ukdiagnostic tool be able to reset the SRS light and give me some idea why the engine cuts out .
I know this is the MGF/MGTF Forum,but as the basis of what i have in the two cars is similar,and no one on the mini forum has an answer..i thought there maybe a knowledgeable person here who may be able to help out.

many thanks
Tony.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196723

Hello Tony

Will the pscan.ukdiagnostic tool be able to reset the SRS light

If the fault is no longer present then yes, the tool will reset the SRS light. If there is still a fault then it will tell you what it is.

and give me some idea why the engine cuts out

If the engine ECU has logged any fault codes then it will tell you what they are. Normally it is best to delete all the codes and then drive until you have the problem, and then read the codes again. If that isn't enough then you can log sensor data to the hard disk and drive the vehicle, and then afterwards plot the data with Excel or LibreOffice. One scenario for which it will not help is if the engine cuts out due to loss of electrical power to the ECU (such as a bad connection or power relay). If the ECU has no power then it won't log an error code.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee that the tool will give you a definitive reason for cutting out. It reports the error codes and live data that MG Rover designed the ECU to deliver. Whether your specific fault is one that the designers thought of and created a code for is not within my control. Certain things like high tension cables and spark plugs are not monitored by the ECU.

I know this is the MGF/MGTF Forum

Actually this part of the forum is for support of the pscan diagnostic tool on any car, not just the MGF/TF.

Last edit: Post by pscan.uk.

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196724

Hi Tony .
I have used the Pscan on our S works Sportpack Mini and and it cleared the fault code on the srs . The fault was due to the car developing high resistance on the entire system ie Fuel injection ecu , and the srs system , due to a bad earth on the boot earthing lead .
On the cutting out problem , I've never had this on our Mini but has the fuel filter been changed recently ? Bolted to the rear sub frame on the n/s , they can be a forgotten item !
John .

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196734

Thanks for the info...i now have to convince the other half we need one....especially if it works on both of the cars..i should be quids in against the garage bills..

regards
Tony

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196736

Hi John
Ive not looked at the main earth ,but i had recently changed the battery for something a little larger,so this maybe something self inflicted...(hopefully).
As for the fuel filter? the car cuts out, and will restart again at the turn of the key,but as the car has been stood for a year,this could definately doo with a look.
As for the scanner,is it a one off price with future chargeable costs when updates come online?

thank you .
Tony

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196738

It's a one off price. Future updates are free provided that they relate to MG / Rover / Landrover. There is no annual licencing charge or anything like that.

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196741

Your erratic cutting out could be a failing fuel pump, happened to me, damned thing kept cutting out at random.
Every time I was in a position to check it, the bloody thing worked fine. It wasn't until the bastard fuel pump shat itself properly that I could diagnose it.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, TonyBush

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196742

I am guessing that if a fuel pump is failing then you would see the lambda sensor going lean for a little time before it stops completely, and that can be logged to a file.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, TonyBush

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196745

Hi John
Ive not looked at the main earth ,but i had recently changed the battery for something a little larger,so this maybe something self inflicted...(hopefully).
As for the fuel filter? the car cuts out, and will restart again at the turn of the key,but as the car has been stood for a year,this could definately doo with a look.
As for the scanner,is it a one off price with future chargeable costs when updates come online?

thank you .
Tony

Hi Tony .
Our Mini has been owned from new and was fully Dynitrolled ( rust proofed ) from being days old but , it's a Mini and the last ones built were the worst for rust . The rust on the earth lead was not the lead itself but from the captive nut on the underside of the boot floor . As the bad earth got worse the resistance increased and ruined the engine ECU , Oxy sensor and Cat . Cobber is right in that the pump could also be the cause of the problem but I would be changing the filter first due the cost . If the car has been stood idle for some time the pump could quite easily have gone awol but, the tank will need removing to get it out and having taken our tank out this year bear in mind that its an awkward lump to man handle with a load of fuel in and your back may appreciate draining some off .
John

pscan diagnostic tool 2 years 8 months ago #196750

Thanks John...the tank has recently gone back in after the respray. Looks like im going to br busy this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT