Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 2 years 9 months ago #196267

Once again the most excellent pscan has been at work on the 2001 MGF 1.6i

My steering wheel has always kicked to the left on startup and switch off and I have suspected the torque sensor adjustment was out.
I checked with the pscan and could see a small amperage when the wheel was straight ahead ( sorry I didnt note it down)
after following the adjustment guide with from ultimateMG using a multimeter to get the potentiometer output as low as possible with the steering wheel straight, it was another test with the pscan, then out for a road test with my wife reading the figures while I drove (0.0A when straight ahead so very happy)

One thing I noticed was that the assist percentage was still up to 40% at 50MPH when cornering, the same as i can get when Im sitting still, this makes me question if the EPAS is speed sensitive.
The Pscan shows a speed when watching the live EPAS ECU data - so its getting speed input

I also get a P0500 fault code although the speedo works.

please can someone explain what is going on.
thank you.

Am I reading this data incorrectly?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 2 years 9 months ago #196301

Yeah the EPAS should be speed sensitive, I wonder if and / or how you could adjust this using a Pscan
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 2 years 9 months ago #196331

I wasnt thinking I could adjust the settings as i guess its preset in the ECU, was more trying to understand if the EPAS was actually speed sensitive.
I may have just baffled myself with the data as the car drives nicely and the steering is good.

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 2 years 9 months ago #196332

I don't think that EPAS has any way to adjust anything in software.  pscan basically offers the same features that the factory T4 has.

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 2 years 9 months ago #196365

.........One thing I noticed was that the assist percentage was still up to 40% at 50MPH when cornering, the same as i can get when Im sitting still, this makes me question if the EPAS is speed sensitive.
The Pscan shows a speed when watching the live EPAS ECU data - so its getting speed input

I also get a P0500 fault code although the speedo works........

The EPAS should switch off at about 30mph so maybe it is getting a bad signal.
Try running the car for 30 seconds at over 2500rpm - the EPAS should switch off and the warning come up on the dash.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwi2001MGF

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 2 years 9 months ago #196366

Great thank you, that's confirmed a few things.

​​​​
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 3 months 3 weeks ago #205312

I don't think that EPAS has any way to adjust anything in software.  pscan basically offers the same features that the factory T4 has.

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm interested in understanding how the EPAS assistance % calculation works using road speed and steering torque inputs. At least that's what the MGF manual says happens. Presumably this is coded into the unit.
Would be great to reverse engineer the EPAS ECU and reflash to allow customised assistance profiles. For example, I'd like more assistance for easier cruising at higher speeds (I've installed an EPAS override switch for when I feel like having a workout)
Is that a feasible project?

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 3 months 3 weeks ago #205313

I would think the opposite, higher speed less assistance, low speed more assistance, would de the go
In fact I’d prefer the assistance to be nil from @ 10 kph and above.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 3 months 3 weeks ago #205319

To disable the EPAS simply remove the fat fuse from the RHS front wheel arch or if you want to be really nifty fit a relay half as fat again as the fat fuse value & switch from the cabin.
The warning light will appear on the instrument panel to alert you to it being switched out.
Unless you’re dumb like me, I drove around Manchester fretting that the EPAS had died having switched it out for the drive there & promptly forgot that I’d turned it off.
Only when I was reversing back into the garage did the penny drop & with a push of a button all services were resumed.

EPAS assist % readings on pscan 3 months 3 weeks ago #205322

This is my arrangement & although it doesn’t get used much during normal knocking about. Plan for a trip up to the dales though & I make sure everything is OK on departure AND it gets reinstated once on the A roads & the likelihood of stop start driving return
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Airportable.
  • Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT