Sign In   Register

Topic

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194871

Newbie here again.

So, I'm aware that PScan can sync a new fob (with its original 21-digit code) to a TF MEMS3 scu and an original fob must be present to 'start things off' so that this original code can be copied.

Is it possible to sync a different (say a re-mapped) ecu to the same scu/fobs in this same way or is this a completely different process (and one that PScan can't do?)

Of course, this 'new' ecu would be a part no that could work when properly synch'd...but can PScan synch it ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194875

The fob is not linked to the MEMS3.

The fob is linked to the Pektron SCU, and then the MEMS3 is linked to the Pektron.

In this respect there are two types of MEMS3.
1. MEMS3 that comes from a 5AS or Pektron car.
2. MEMS3 that comes from an EWS3D car (Rover 75 or 2001 on Freelander 1).

pscan can recode a MEMS3 for 5AS or Pektron, this is referred to as "EMS learning" so yes you can buy a used TF MEMS3 ECU and match it to your TF or move one to a different TF. The alarm/immobiliser will work fine. The only point is that the VIN number coded into the ECU will remain the one from the car that the ECU came from.

Concerning the EWS3D ECUs, pscan has no capability to rematch these. They are permanently linked to the EWS3D immobiliser ECU and so would have to be moved as a matched pair (with keys).

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194878

Wow, what what a complete and informative answer! Absolutely brilliant..:broon:

So just to be a little more specific, I can bolt another 5AS/Pektron MEMS3 TF135 ecu onto my current 5AS/Pektron MEMS3 TF135 and it will start up and drive without needing any further programming?

I suspect this will be true even if the replacement ecu is from (say) 5AS/Pektron 1.4 Rover 45 which has the same part number as my own 5AS/Pektron 1.8 TF? They'd both be MEMS3...

And at risk of being 'awkward', what if the replacement 5AS/Pektron MEMS3 ecu was new, without a vehicle vin?

(sorry about the repetition; just wanting to be sure)

Last edit: Post by ArntyR.

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194879

Yes you can fit an ECU from a Rover 25/45 into a TF, and it doesn't matter whether either car is 5AS or Pektron. The 5AS and Pektron EMS protocol is the same.

Concerning bolting in an ECU from another car, the first time you fit the ECU it won't just work. You have to disarm the alarm and then log into the MEMS3 and perform the "learn EMS" procedure. Once you have done this once then it will just work from then on.
Additionally if you now have two MEMS3 ECUs which have both learnt the same Pektron EMS code then they will both work with that Pektron and you can now swap between them whenever you want without further coding.
Note that if you code a MEMS3 to car B then it will no longer work in car A. If you put it back in car A then you would need to learn EMS A again, and now it won't work in B.
With 5AS alarms you can actually reconfigure the EMS code to be the same so that multiple cars all have the same EMS and can share a pool of MEMS ECUs that all have the same EMS code.
I don't remember whether the Pektron has that capability.

Last edit: Post by pscan.uk.

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194880

Thanks for the rapid reply. - Again really understandable making me realise that with PScan I can 'fit' a new or spare ecu w/out needing to expensively replace scu/fobs.

Also if I wanted to sell (say) a used re-mapped ecu it can be done w/out accompanying scu/fobs. The buyer would need access to a PScan (or access to working MG diagnostics) to do a 'learn EMS' on his/her own ecu.

So when I get the new ecu I presume I'll bolt it on and the alarm will go off first time I turn the key or try to start it. I'll then disarm the alarm by pressing the 'unlock' button on the fob, then go into MEMS3 on PScan and look for 'learn EMS' and follow instructions?

And will this process work for the SAIC/Continental (NNN000830) ecu? (hi markvrs) I've heard that that there may be some 'internal' changes on the ECU layout, meaning it can't be read in the same process as the earlier MEMS3 versions - even tho' PScan can communicate to cancel 'oil service' light on these models...

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194882

Hi pscan,

Will this work on a SAIC (Chinese) MG TF as well. Have been contemplating this with ArntyR (hi) and am thinking of getting a second hand MG Rover MEMS 3 and using pscan with SAWS download to re-programme it. That would give me a MG Rover MEMS3 with SAWS and a SAIC (Continental) MEMS3 with K-MAP.

If I am reading you correctly after learning the MG Rover ECU the first time , then both ECU's are interchangeable for back to back comparisons or as a spare.

By the way , nice work on pscsan

Cheers Mark

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194884

making me realise that with PScan I can 'fit' a new or spare ecu w/out needing to expensively replace scu/fobs..

Yes you can. Just change the engine ECU and do "learn EMS". There is no need to change anything else.

Also if I wanted to sell (say) a used re-mapped ecu it can be done w/out accompanying scu/fobs. The buyer would need access to a PScan (or access to working MG diagnostics) to do a 'learn EMS' on his/her own ecu.

Yes this is correct.

So when I get the new ecu I presume I'll bolt it on and the alarm will go off first time I turn the key or try to start it. I'll then disarm the alarm by pressing the 'unlock' button on the fob, then go into MEMS3 on PScan and look for 'learn EMS' and follow instructions?

When you put in a "foreign" engine ECU this doesn't cause the alarm to go off. The alarm will behave normally. What will happen is that when you crank the starter motor the engine will not start. I think that an engine ECU that is receiving the wrong EMS code just doesn't switch on the injectors (though not 100% sure). You can also "read" the immobiliser status of the MEMS3 using pscan so that you can tell if this is happening. The rest of what you say is correct: disarm the alarm/immo, log into the MEMS3 and learn EMS. On screen instructions will guide you through the process.

And will this process work for the SAIC/Continental (NNN000830) ecu? (hi markvrs) I've heard that that there may be some 'internal' changes on the ECU layout, meaning it can't be read in the same process as the earlier MEMS3 versions - even tho' PScan can communicate to cancel 'oil service' light on these models...

To the best of my knowledge the EMS learning stuff didn't change on the SAIC ECUs, and I don't believe that they changed the Pektron either. Concerning fuel maps on the SAIC ECUs I would recommend asking SAWS Tuning because I don't know much about that.

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194885

Will this work on a SAIC (Chinese) MG TF as well.

My confidence is high that it will work, but not 100%. It would be great to verify it.

If I am reading you correctly after learning the MG Rover ECU the first time , then both ECU's are interchangeable for back to back comparisons or as a spare.

Yes. If you already have ECU A working in the car, and then you fit ECU B, and do a "learn EMS" on ECU B then this does not change anything in the Pektron or ECU A. What you will have is two engine ECUs A and B, both now with the same EMS code programmed in, both matching the Pektron EMS code, and both working. You would be able to swap back and forth between ECU A and B with nothing more that a spanner. They will both just work.

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194886

Again, answers of precision and clarity. Thanks for that.

Final request: Please can you outline instructions for PScan to turn water into wine?

Yep, as markvrs said 'nice work on Pscan'. I second that; it's an impressive piece of kit - and still evolving :clap:

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194887

Final request: Please can you outline instructions for PScan to turn water into wine?

The instructions are here http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PXA.HTM

Note that you need the mother of Jesus, not a pscan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194888

Oh...and I'd just decided that was a better option than playing around with boring ecus.
Please can I get a refund?

can PScan sync a MEMS3 ecu? 3 years 3 months ago #194889

Oh...and I'd just decided that was a better option than playing around with boring ecus.
Please can I get a refund?

The refund policy is here http://pscan.uk/buy/

Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT