Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fuel pump (ZS diesel) 3 years 5 months ago #194278

Hi
I have been very pleased with the pscan. I have a question though, as I have a problem with my MG ZS 2.0 Diesel, where I experienced a loss of power the other day while driving on the highway. The car could keep speed on even stretches but no acceleration at all and uphill went down to 50mph. The engine runs fine in idle (and also at 80 mph on the highway), but just won't take power. A friend of mine says, it could be defective fuel pump. Are there any readings, I can take on the pscan where I can check on this?

No stored or pending codes to indicate whereabouts of malfunction. Intercooler hoses seems to be ok. Have a long going EGR problem, P1402, which just won't resolve, not even with changing the EGR (suspect solenoid now or leaking connectors on the vaccum hose).
Car seems to have lost of circuit problems, like intermittent failures here and there and everywhere.

What about the turbo? Can I take a reading on the pressure created? There's a funny rattling - not whining - sound coming from it.

Thanks for any inputs

C

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by pscan.uk.

Fuel pump 3 years 5 months ago #194280

Turbos shouldn't make funny rattley noises!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Fuel pump 3 years 5 months ago #194283

I have experienced a similar problem with HDI powered Peugeots. On these the boost control solenoid can go bad and the ECU attempts to make the turbo do something but actually the wastegate stays wide open and doesn't make any boost.
I don't know whether the L series has a boost control solenoid or not.
Another common failure on VWs is with Mass Airflow Sensors. The ECU will not inject more fuel into the the engine than there is air to burn it, and so if the MAF is not working correctly then it reduces power.
Also make sure that your EGR valve isn't stuck open.

These are just guesses though as I have never owned an L series.

Looking at what pscan can do here are the live data parameters that can be monitored

Manifold pressure is there, you can check that you are getting boost.
Pedal position is there, make sure that it goes to 100% when you floor the accelerator.
Air flow is there: maybe compare with another owner of a similar car.

Fuel pump 3 years 5 months ago #194284

I also had a turbo seized solid on my Jag 2.7 diesel.
It would idle absolutely fine, and I could drive slowly as well.
The moment I tried to get any real power I got a very harsh diesel knock.
I also had zero airflow on that bank of the engine.
I think that they engine was able to draw a certain about of air through the one good turbo but the moment this was exceeded it did something odd to the injection timing or something and made a very harsh noise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cmbarfod

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT