• Page:

Topic

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193385

• K160's Avatar Topic Author
  • K160
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hello everybody,

In my MG TF160 of 2005 there never has been any engine bay temp sensor.
The error codes I am getting point to that. Has any of the users of Pscan on like MG TFs have such a feedback ? In that case, do you know what to do ?

I read on Internet, that the engine bay sensor input should be disabled. What do you thing about that solution? If it has to be done, how should I proceed with my Pscan ?
Thanks for your input

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193393

Hi. TF's had the engine bay temp sensor on the small bracket that is visible on the right hand side of the engine bay grille.
The engine bay fan on later TFs is I believe controlled by the temperature thermistor switch and the ECU . I have a 2005 TF and like yours it has the old style swich mounting but no switch . I recently serviced it and while the inspection cover was off and while the engine was running I removed the plug from the thermistor and as expected the engine bay fan came on . I then swiched the engine off and the fan ran for several seconds and then stopped. The ECU saw the open circuit and as a precaution put the fan on . By me causing this it will have logged a fault code but as yet I haven't cleared it . What code are you getting as I am not aware of any instructions to disable the system . Why would you want to ? I don't have comprehensive list of fault codes but someone on here will have . I can plug Pscan into mine if you like to see what the code is .
John

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193394

Hi again . I've just plugged Pscan into my TF 135 to check the forced fault code after I had serviced it and as expected found the code relating to me unplugging the thermistor switch which was P0118 . The code was cleared by Pscan.
John

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193398

• K160
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thank you John for these informations.
I am attaching the snap of my Pscan read.

The workshop I tookvit to is certain that my car does not have the engin bay sensor.
Attachments:

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193399

Those codes look odd . A friend who had his TF re mapped last year asked me to have a look at it as it wasn't running well . When I coupled Pscan to it there were literally dozens of codes on the screen that didn't relate to a TF , not unless MG made a diesel model. It turned out that when he sent his ECU away to be mapped they sent him one from a different MG /Rover car . Can you check with Pscan what type of ECU is fitted , for example by clicking the ECU identifier on the screen . I think we need Phillip from Pscan to give you some guidance on this . My TF gives two fault codes for Air Con that is not fitted to the car and will not clear . One of your codes is refering to EGR which should be for a diesel engine. Do you know if the ECU has been replaced at some point ?
John.

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193410

• K160
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Well, I have my tf since last year and I have no idea what the previous owner did with the ecu.
But let me check that with the pscan and I'll come back to you
Sunday

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193411

Ok that's fine . In the mean time I'm sure other forum members like Talking cars , Bluestreak and a few other knowledgable guys will give some input on this .
John

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193412

• K160
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Alright here's the ecu identifier, is it the good one ?
I also started the engine and found no engine light on but the pscan found the same three error codes, I don't know what to think about it...
Sunday
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photo

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193414

Ok , short answer is I don't know as I don't have a list of ECU's but Phillip of Pscan fame will have . In the mean time I'll check mine but my TF is a 135 so it could differ .
John

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193423

NNN000160 is MEMS3 ECU for 1.8 VVC engine so if your car is TF160 then it is correct for the engine. However, I do not know if this ECU identifier is written in the ECU and if it can be altered if mapping is done. In that case you have correct map in the ECU, but ECU itself was not originally NNN000160 one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193424

P1522 is VVC related

As I know P1487 and P0655 are related. P1487 provides info about hot wngine from engine bay sensor and P0655 provides info that your hot engine lamp on the dash is not working.

However, these error codes might be thrown from completely different reason like inoperative lambda/oxyven sensor.

Do you have any troubles with engine when driving or similar?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

MG Tf160 engine bay sensor error code 3 years 9 months ago #193426

• K160
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
I have no problem with the engine, it runs perfectly since I got the head gasket done.

Last time I took it to the workshop he said there was no problem with the o2 or lambda sensor.

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT