Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 5 years 1 week ago #190173

I recently swapped the std engine of my lotus elise for a MGTF 160VVC (MEMS3)
Next week MOT (APK), i checked the ECU for faults (pscan) and found some faults. I only drove the car for maybe 1 km and not yet revved more then maybe 3000/3500 rpm.

All of them are not interesting because of the conversion, except fault P1522 has my interest. I have already tested the VVC control by driving the both solenoids directly with 12V. I removed the camshaft cover, marked the position of the shaft and checked increasing and decreasing, that works. I measured the resistance of the coils, both around 8 ohm.

Q1. Does anyone know what is the trigger for this fault ?
Q2. Which values are interesting to log with the pscan to analyse the cause ?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 5 years 1 week ago #190175

Hi and welcome to the forum

Personally I'd clear the fault and go for a decent drive to make use of the VVC and then see if the fault reappears.

Also check the 2 plugs on the VVC unit are the correct way around, it is possible to swap them and lose VVC.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 5 years 5 hours ago #190267

Now it looks like the fault is created during ignition on.
When i reset the fault when the car is already idling then go for a spin and read the the errors it is not there.
When i switch off -> on again without starting the fault appears.
WIll try to measure whether coil 1&2 have 12v during ignition on.. maybe coil 1 has supply and 2 does not until started..

I made a log measured(orange0 cam v requested(blue) cam position, all looks fine

Attachments:

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 3 years 10 months ago #193573

Did you have any luck with this?
I have just done a 143VVC conversion to 160VVC MEMS3 so similar conversion on my MGF.
I have a error codes like your to do with A/C but as I dont have a/c I dont care.
The main one is P1522 which is the VVC solenoid 2 as you have said..

I have yet to drive the car so it could be the solenoid is out of position during the belt change - I am not sure.

Please let me know if this resolved itself with a good drive?
Thanks trevor.

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 3 years 10 months ago #193601

Ive sorted out all codes that i needed to except p1522 with loose leads or ignore ac. Note to self if map error code appears check the main inlet plug under manifold lol....

So p1522 remains.
ive checked my vvc leads continuity and pin out is corect.
Doesnt change regardless of which lead is removed from vvc mech though which is strange.
Ive put an oscilloscope on the ecu driver pins at the solenoid side both show a falling edge from 12v to 0v for a brief period on ignition on just to test the circuit so ecu looks fine.
I cant see anything else currently.

I still haven't started the car so i will do this next and reset to see if it goes away...
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photos

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 3 years 10 months ago #193605

Double check these plugs, as James mentioned previously.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 3 years 10 months ago #193608

Plugs are correct as explained, but thanks for the picture is always great to have confirmation.

I am going to go start the car to see if that helps, but keep the ideas coming?
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

P1522 variable intake solenoid #2 circuit malfunction 3 years 10 months ago #193617

I am going to go start the car to see if that helps,......

do it, do it, do it.....

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT