Sign In   Register

Topic

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 10 years 4 days ago #140804

My family car is a Peugeot Partner with the ModuTop glass roof. Not really sexy but very handy indeed for me my wife and 3 kids. Stows all and all luggage for hollidays easily.
Before that I drove a berlingo but ... with an open roof that made a 2 meter gap. Allmost a cabrio feeling... so thats when I go the taste for a softtop ride.
So good luck with that planty of glass and plenty of space.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 11 months ago #141390

• bensewell's Avatar Topic Author
  • bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
**** A moment of down-time... The SEAT has packed in for a bit :doh: ****

Went to start it yesterday it started then died instantly, tried again, same thing.

This time with glow plug light flashing.

AA Rang and did some trickery..

No faults found, checked oil and topped up a bit. Then checked the fuel pump and that was working.

Next up checked the injectors using some of that easy start stuff. The car started a bit then chugged away.

So I'm off road for a bit until a combo of Graham and my t'other car mate Shane turns up with his VAG laptop.

However. I have this as a plan B.

20 mins ride to station in a morning, then 15 mins from sheffield station to work. :slapme:

So I will be doing some Ben'll fix it tonight hopefully. Lots of info on the galaxy and VW sites but not as fast or helpful as on here :beer:

Last edit: Post by bensewell.

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 11 months ago #141392

Hi Ben, I had something similar on my Mitsubishi, a new set of glow plugs was the answer.
Regards

Chris
If your going to have one, Have a big one!

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 11 months ago #141396

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
So far checks to do.
1. Are fobs working proper, if the door LED is blinking when it cuts off this means immobiliser is kicking in stopping fuel being injected.
2. Boot switch light, if rear brakes are not working this will be replcaced as it causes gremlins in the electrical system.
3. Some relays to check, again some electrical gremlins do exist.

I'll 'reyt'n it' its only a car. I have some peasantville transport to keep me going for a bit and reduce my middle aged beer keg.

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 11 months ago #141400

Nice in black, are they a Ford Galaxy badged as Seat?

We also have a new edition; our Shogun was getting past its best so we were going to change like for like, just a newer with less miles; until we looked at the road tax. £470 (thanks to Gordon Browns Chelsea Taxi tax)

We ended up with a 10 plate Suzuki SZ5 £280 per year road tax. Hoping for the same Japanese build quality and reliability as the Shogun.
Attachments:

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 7 months ago #147801

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
Some German Gremlins have attacked me and my beloved SEAT... Should have stuck MG.... :bat:

I was happily coming back from a hundred or so mile trip when I slowed down for a roundabout then put it in second and powered on to then hear the revs go high and followed by a grinding noise with no power at all and not working in any gear. I put the car in neutral and coasted to a layby.

Then tested all gears and was the same no power at all.

Rang the AA who came out and said it might be something to do with the intermediate drive shaft teeth being worn? I hope so this is the best case.

Here is a video of noise and what happens when i try to dip the clutch when its in gear.

Someone said it could be the clutch?

Got a mate coming to look at it and take it from there. Its sad that due to its pretty low value if its a mega expensive bill it might be going to the scrappers.... If it is going to the scrappers I'll probably part ex the vectra and get a small run about maybe a ZR or similar size.

Either way its going to be costly :oops: :oops:

Enjoy your MGs Lol
:P

I might be in the bargain basement more often from now on. :woohoo:

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 7 months ago #147803

Oh dear :omg: Hope it works out OK.
There is so many gears to chose and they all grind Are the push bike tyres still pumped up :-?
[IMG]ht[/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 7 months ago #147805

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
6 Gears + reverse. All grinding. Not looking good.

Hopefully a cheap fix or its going and 07 Plate Vectra will be part-exed at the weekend. I'll need to pump the tyres up a bit more i think on the push iron.

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 7 months ago #147812

It's VW based and if it's the same type of gearbox that was fitted to my Passat (2 gearboxes in 80K) then it could be the crown wheel that has come off differential, you will soon know if you drain the gearbox oil as more metal will come than oil.

The crown wheels were riveted onto the diff to save money and speed up production, the heads of the rivets shear off and mangle every thing up.

A second hand box will be quite cheap from a breakers, but if it has a dual mass flywheel and has done more than 80k it will need to be changed as will the clutch and that may cost more than the gearbox.

Hope it's something simple and less costly.

Good luck with it mate.

Brian.

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 7 months ago #147826

It's 'Caddy Shack' - He's been knawing on your shaft and sharpening his teeth!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 7 months ago #147832

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

I'm offically a 'dad-mobile' owner - SEAT Alhambra 9 years 7 months ago #147840

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

Time to create page: 1.087 seconds