Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

lock change 13 years 5 months ago #18757

• rayb's Avatar Topic Author
  • rayb
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
after my mishap yesterday, ive managed to source complete lock set for my mgf 1998, ive done boots and door locks before would i be right in thinking that the ignition lock would be just a straight swap once ive removed the bolts securing it,any help or info please
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: lock change 13 years 5 months ago #18762

To be honest I would just change the boot lock, then you would have a separate key for the boot, which you could get copied. You could even get a special one made to fit your wallet. If you lock your keys in the boot again, no probs.
Then fit a remote boot release kit.
David
:shrug:

Re: lock change 13 years 5 months ago #18765

• rayb's Avatar Topic Author
  • rayb
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
yes i thought of that but i would like just the one key, regards to the remote boot lock, i did hear that you could attach a bike brake cable to the lock and thread the other half through the cockpit then conceal it, so if you do need it just give it a tug and the boot opens, still tying with this idea tho
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: lock change 13 years 5 months ago #18767

yes i thought of that but i would like just the one key, regards to the remote boot lock, i did hear that you could attach a bike brake cable to the lock and thread the other half through the cockpit then conceal it, so if you do need it just give it a tug and the boot opens, still tying with this idea tho

Or you could try this its a bit of a sneaky way of only changing the boot lock but have one key fits all

leave the other locks as they are, before fitting the new lock to the boot, strip it down till you just have the barrel, put your old key in to the new lock, you'll see the brass levers sticking out from the barrel, basically because its the wrong key,

take a dremil or grinder with cutting disc and carefully bit by bit trim the brass levers flush with the barrel, make sure you take all the burs off the levers and have a good finish, you can try it in the barrel to see if it will turn before putting it back together an fit to the car

hey presto you now have all locks on one key again
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: lock change 13 years 5 months ago #18773

Or you could try this its a bit of a sneaky way of only changing the boot lock but have one key fits all

leave the other locks as they are, before fitting the new lock to the boot, strip it down till you just have the barrel, put your old key in to the new lock, you'll see the brass levers sticking out from the barrel, basically because its the wrong key,

take a dremil or grinder with cutting disc and carefully bit by bit trim the brass levers flush with the barrel, make sure you take all the burs off the levers and have a good finish, you can try it in the barrel to see if it will turn before putting it back together an fit to the car

hey presto you now have all locks on one key again

Yeah, I've done this before, and it does work.
You'll find that the old key and the new key fit the lock afterwards.:lol:

I know several people who have used the bike cable idea successfully.

I bought a kit off ebay (14.99) and now have an electric boot release. basically it has two switches, one on the dash and a 'security switch' hidden somewhere. To prevent anyone leaning in and unlocking the boot.
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT