Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Slave cylinder 10 months 3 weeks ago #202068

• Bobb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bobb
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi everyone, I’ve been investigating my clutch problems further and I’ve found a leaking hose under the car.
There appears to be a rubber hose connection bridging to steel clutch pipes.
Q.1 How difficult is it to replace the hose?
Q.2 is there strong possibility that the steel pipes will be damaged in trying to disconnect ?
Q.3 is it good practice to replace the slave cylinder at the same time or is it better to “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”?

Thanks as always, your knowledge is much appreciated.

Bob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Slave cylinder 10 months 3 weeks ago #202072

Bob, firstly well done on identifying the fault. Replacing the hose should not be difficult, accessing the connections each end of the Flexi hose can be difficult if you don't have space. If you use two spanners to hold and release the Flexi pipe there is no reason why you should damage the metal pipes (but soaking with releasing fluid may assist the de-assembly! I would not replace the slave cylinder just because you can. Replace the Flexi hose and bleed the system. If it all works jobs a fish!

Slave cylinder 10 months 3 weeks ago #202086

+1 for the use of penetrating oil/ releasing fluid. I find a can of Plusgas an essential item.
That, together with the use of good quality spanners, will reduce the risk of rounding off the fittings whilst you are working on them
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Slave cylinder 10 months 3 weeks ago #202088

The best way to NOT round off the nuts is to use the correct type of spanner……… “which is that?” I hear you ask
The correct spanner for brake and fuel lines is a flare nut spanner.
Below are some pix of mine

There are both metric and imperial sizes in the pic above, you’ll notice that they grip around the nut and as such tend not to round the nut off like a normal open end spanner. The fancy ones in the tool roll have a ratchet action.

These are of a crows foot design which are handy if you don’t have the swinging room. They are 3/8” square drive, so whack on you socket extensions n’ ratchet and away ya go!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
Attachments:

Slave cylinder 10 months 3 weeks ago #202089

Yeah, can't second enough the use of brake spanners and crows foot for that nut that seems to be where no one would put it.

Slave cylinder 10 months 3 weeks ago #202090

Flared nut spanner is definitely an alpha plus plus tool, I’ve never used crows feet although my lad has a set laid out as per Cobber.

Slave cylinder 10 months 1 week ago #202330

• Bobb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bobb
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thanks for your insight. It turned out to be a faulty slave cylinder, which was the easiest component to change.
I bought the whole 3 part section from a scrap yard, the flexi pipe, clutch pipe and slave cylinder for £45 in preparation.
Bled the system with a Gunson easibleed kit.
Piece of cake... almost

Slave cylinder 10 months 1 week ago #202331

Thanks for reporting back, it’s a habit that all contributes should get into. It confirms to the advisors that their advice is correct, it guides those who might be facing a similar problem & it reenforces Talkingcars subscript “MG the friendly mark”.
Tah, Mike.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT