Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201282

I bought my MG F as a non runner and after a lot of work i thought i had it finished When I tried the central locking for the first time trouble started When I turned the ign on the horns went off and the alarm light was on along with the 4th light down,which is a triangle in a circle Mine is a 1999 model Ive disconnected the plugs for the central locking ,in both doors The only difference,is that the alarm light now flashes instead of being on all the time I am getting to lose interest after all the work but I would love to have the car running right Len

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic inserted

Re:MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201290

I think you need those connected as they connect to the door switches it sounds like you have a fault with the alarm module, have you got the EKA code to disable the alarm (I suspect not) but that would help.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201298

The only way to disable the alarm/immobiliser is Via the EKA Code, you do this via the drivers door lock with a code lock 3 unlock 2 lock 1 unlock 3 etc specific to your car, if you don't have this code then you need someone with a Pscan or T4 to interrogate the control unit, I cant help you with this, maybe someone local(ish) has one who can help, alternately give a call to MG Mobile Mechanics on 07595 708278 or Rough luck racing (Mobile Mechanics) 07766 993717 they can advise better than me, Id be more than happy to come over and help with anything else if you need it just private message me, hope that helps, I do know a very good Mechanic too but you may need to get it to him, he is in Aston Fields MBM Engineering Mark Brooks 01527 575390, hope this is helpful.

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201300

Thanks I have used MBM in the past I think some of my trouble is in the door lock I was trying to get the key in and it not possible sometimes it will go but not often While I was messing with the door the horns went off ,soI think it would be an idea,to get the lock barrel out .However this seems to be easier said than done As I said my mobile is 07443018719 Len

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201321

I finally managed to remove the door lock barrel .Not the easiest jab,but what are on classics I was unable to get the key into the lock but as luck would have it goes in perfectly now its out Whether I disturbed something however ill give it a good oil now

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201334

Here is a friendly tip from a recent experience with a similar task.

In order to remove the door lock barrel, as you have already learned, you need to remove the retainer clip.

Reinstallation is not the reverse of disassembly. Put the clip back in first, which is relatively easy then put the lock barrel back in. Just push it back in. The lock barrel is designed to be put back in with the clip in place. If you do it the other way around (which many seem to do), it is an unnecessarily difficult task.

Last edit: Post by Goodwood.

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201339

Thanks very much,for such useful information Could have saved me ages .The problems started,when I tried the central locking with the key fob Up to then I had the car running great,and everything working .I also noriced while chasing the central locking problem,the key wouldn`t go onto the door lock very far and while trying to get it in the horns went off All points to door locking trouble I may need ,to have diagnostic test done .Where is the socket for the tester Len
THANKS AGAIN ONE DAY I`LL GET THERE

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201340

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
you mean the OBD II port? It's in the fuse box under the steering wheel.
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: digcot65

MG F 1 year 1 month ago #201341

All points to door locking trouble I may need ,to have diagnostic test done .Where is the socket for the tester Len

The best reader for the MGF (or TF) is pscan - there is a whole section of this forum devoted to it. It is based on the MG Rover official T4 system and reads all sorts of stuff. Making sense of the info it provides is not so simple and that is why the forum is so useful.

The TF and late Fs are OBD2 compliant and some supercheap bluetooth OBD2 readers will work and give some engine-related information. Older MGFs (pre ~2000?) have a different connection and are not OBD2.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT