• Page:

Topic

MG TF Tyres 1 year 3 months ago #200930

• IanC's Avatar Topic Author
  • IanC
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi

Please could anyone help with some up to date information on replacement tyres for my 2003 MG TF which runs standard 15" wheels. I have seen Toyo and Falken suggested, so any advice will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG TF Tyres 1 year 3 months ago #200931

You've answered your own question. They can be difficult to find in the correct sizes but Demon Tweeks are a good source of Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun and Toyo Proxes TR1.

I have the Falkens but others are likely to advocate the Toyos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IanC

MG TF Tyres 1 year 3 months ago #200952

I have TOYO Proxes TR1's fitted to my 96 Mk1 MGF, I have 195/50 R15 on the front and 205/50 R15 on the rear, i have also increased the rear pressures to 32psi as these were the best pressures that VHS achieved on the testing of this tyres for the MGOC. The car holds the road like GLUE. I have also had re-gassed spheres fitted (In March 2022) and have the ride height set at 360mm.

The only experience i has had with Falken tyres was on some 16'' wheels which i had borrowed, i found these to be very grippy, but a noticeably harder tyre, but i noticed the back breaking away on damp road surfaces,

I paid £250 for the four Toyo's fitted and balanced, whereas Falken's would have been £50 more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, IanC

MG TF Tyres 1 year 2 months ago #200980

• IanC
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi, Bryan. Thank you very much for the information. I now have four Toyos on my TF. I went to a local trade/retail outlet and they were very helpful: their view was that these are the only suitable tyres. Whilst their prices are very reasonable, sadly four Toyos now cost £355.00!

MG TF Tyres 11 months 2 weeks ago #202074

Bryan,
just a quick question re the post on tyres ,do you mean TOYO TR1 or TOYO T1R ?
I have T1R which are excellent on my TF but I need to replace the front 2 , cant get T1R anymore .
thanks
Mike

MG TF Tyres 11 months 1 week ago #202083

• IanC
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi Mike

I have TR1s on my TF. The two fronts were £65 each (185/55R15). Only done a limited mileage on them but very pleased so far.

Best wishes

Ian

MG TF Tyres 11 months 1 week ago #202091

Ian,
thanks for the reply -the Tr1 tread pattern is different from the old T1R ,it appears more non uniform across the tyre if you see what I mean.
Mike

MG TF Tyres 11 months 1 week ago #202096

Perhaps asymmetrical is the word you’re looking for.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: g4wam

MG TF Tyres 11 months 1 week ago #202099

• IanC
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi Mike

Yes, as the TR1 is asymmetric, with the two circumferential grooves going on the outside (the tyrewall is marked accordingly). This does mean that the tread appears right way up on one side of the car and upside down on the other! Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Ian

MG TF Tyres 11 months 1 week ago #202137

ian,
sorry for the slow reply, your description suggest that fitting the TR1 on the fronts would make them a different tyre pattern to the rear T1R's .So may as well fit the Falken ZE310 to the front as recommended by MGOC .
My rears are ok so don't want to replace the rears this early in there life.
Thank you anyway for taking the time to respond.

regards

Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT