Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200748

Please offer some help. Lugging a great big lap top around might be a bit tedious if travelling away from home.
So, can anyone tell me if they have been able to use a mobile phone to connect Pscan to the car and interrogate faults (should there be any)?
I have an old Nokia Lumia 630 that is at present no longer supported by MS and is no longer in use but with a new "Pay as you go" sim for a few £s it might spring back into life but I do not know if the windows features would still work, it certainly does not support wi-fi calling as far as I can remember.

Can anyone please tell me if it is likely to first connect to the internet and second download Pscan and function? If so how easy was it and does it work ok?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200749

As like as not, it won't. Most of us here are car geeks but nebulous questions about which obsolete phone will do what are not really in our remit. I doubt if one in five hundred of us carry a laptop around in the expectation of our cars packing up. If you think it won't make the journey back, dont go. Regular health scanning is fine, of course but if your paranoia is such that you expect to need a laptop (Which is guaranteed to mean that the faults you will get won't be electronic,) then perhaps an MGF/TF is not the car for you. Almost any laptop will fit in the passenger's seat pocket if you must.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delbourt

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200750

Well the more knowledgeable folk on here will be along soon with the answer but, I asked a similar question regarding a Samsung tablet and using it purely for Pscan . The answer was no , Pscan won't work on the android operating system so , you'll have to lug the old laptop around some more .
John .

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200752

The pscan enterprise is remarkable by anyone’s reckoning & in my estimation an object lesson to anyone wanting to bring a niche product to market, To expect it to be engineered to accommodate spurious systems is a little unreasonable. I have an android tablet which make a perfect match & one day Phil might get around to emulate one to the other but just be thankful we've got it, as without it many a usable car would be lost with all hands

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200753

In the car, I use my Pscan on a small Toshiba NB550D laptop, running Windows 10, these things have a 10.1 inch screen, they are @ 10 yrs old now and obsolete, so you should be able to pick one up for next to bugger all! Mine came from an opportunity shop or more commonly referred to as an opp shop here in Oz (what you’d call a charity shop in Pomgolia ) it cost me change as it needed the hard drive replaced, which I happened to have a suitable solid state drive laying around.
Just did a quick check on Oz flea bay, and found a couple of equivalent models from other brands for under Aus $50

I find it better in the car than my iPad, as it sits on the passenger seat with screen up, so as I can see it without having to hold it, it’s heavier than the iPad and as such doesn’t slide about as easily and if it goes flying and crash lands, it’s not much of a loss!
I have an 11inch Acer, as a spare waiting in the wings, ready to go.
Please note that I only watch it when the car is stationary or I’m in the passenger seat, with someone else doing the driving!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200754

Nokia Lumia 630 has Windows Mobile operating system. That is not the same as Windows 7, 8, 10 or 11 Operating system. You cannot run same kind of application on Windows Mobile as on Windows 11. Application for Windows Mobile must be specialy programmed for Windows Mobile alone. Also you cannot run Windows Mobile application on Windows 11 without modification. So these two operaring systems are not compatible from application point of view.
Support for Windows Mobile Operating system ceased to exist so you cannot make new applications for Windows Mobile.

In order not to carry heavy laptop when I need the Pscan application with my car, I purchased Windows 10 tablet with detachable spare keyboard and mouse, and it is extremly easy for me to use it when needed or when testing things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200768

Thank you for the various replies. I note in particular the comment regarding different operating systems for phones and desk tops/laptops.

Pscan with mobile phone 1 year 4 months ago #200811

Thank you for the various replies. I note in particular the comment regarding different operating systems for phones and desk tops/laptops.

I have Pscan on my Windows laptop which is great.

I have downloaded an app called Rovermems ( https://rovermems.com/ ) that operates on android phones (not windows/Mac/Linux). I am awaiting for the lead to connect from my phone to the OBDS connection to try it out. On the 2J mems, it only appears to read 5 or so sensor outputs (on the 1.6 and 1.9 MEMS, many more sensors are read).

For MEMS 1.6 / 1.9 ECU the android solution is here - https://memsdiag.blogspot.com/ and looks even more comprehensive.

Last edit: Post by julianfoulger.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT