Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

First mid-engined sports car 1 year 3 months ago #200702

• pgew's Avatar Topic Author
  • pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
The Matra-Bonnet Djet coupé – was the world’s first production, mid-engined sports car.
The car was named "Djet" because Bonnet thought the French would not pronounce the word "jet" correctly.
The French government gave one to Yuri Gagarin - a dream car for the average Russian at the time.
The Djet was designed by Jacques Hubert for René Bonnet in 1961, a small coupé with steel backbone chassis and glass fibre bodywork.
The body consisted of a number of individual panels, rather than a single moulding and had the advantage of much easier repair.
The drag coefficient of 0.27, low even by today's standards, gave the car the potential for high top speeds from a relatively small engine.
The power unit was the 1108 cc Renault 8 unit, but turned through 180 degrees to give a mid-engined configuration. The car had independent suspension all round with coil springs and wishbones. The ultimate engine gave it a top speed of 200kph, and only 1493 examples were produced.
Unlike the F/TF the 'Jet' was only produced as a coupe, although sometimes with a rather neat sun roof...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bertl, sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

First mid-engined sports car 1 year 3 months ago #200703

• pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Nice design details and a glimpse of engine...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bertl

First mid-engined sports car 1 year 3 months ago #200707

Matra-Simca Bagheera was a car I dreamt about as a teenager- 3 seats in a row.....+ mid-engined.

First mid-engined sports car 1 year 3 months ago #200713

Nice car but very much of it's time.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

First mid-engined sports car 1 year 3 months ago #200724

Well, not really. These are the decendants of the Panhard flat twin engined aerodynes made to win the Index of Thermal Efficiency at Le Mans pour la gloire de la France. The big difference is that these were made with supple and competent suspension giving Lotus Elan standard roadholding. Proper little road cars. It is little surprise that Chapman used the Renault layout for the Europa. The cheapness of the powertrain (£14!) was a welcome bonus. I would say it was well ahead of its time. I would love one!
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgew

First mid-engined sports car 1 year 3 months ago #200725

• pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
That's fascinating, thank you. It was the mid-engined first that piqued my interest due to our cars. I have no idea how the choice was made, except it was by 'Rover Special Projects' - does anyone know the full story?

First mid-engined sports car 1 year 3 months ago #200726

I think I’ll sign up for one also. The engine access is interesting; another thing in common.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT