Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Question regarding exterior door handles 1 year 4 months ago #200673

My exterior door handle recently broke in the classic fashion. One of the mounting holes for the retaining bolt disintegrated. I have read the many posts on this topic and I understand this cannot be repaired (easily) and requires replacement. I am now looking for a door handle painted in Goodwood Green (HQM), but this is not an easy color to find. If this is not possible, I will buy a new handle and have it painted.

My question concerns the keyhole for the door handle. I have a LHD car and require replacement of the LH handle. This handle needs a hole for the lock. Most of the handle available are for RHD cars so the lock hole is covered. Is the cover just a plug that can be removed or is part of the handle assembly. Can I use a LH handle from a RHD car? I hope this is clear.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics added

Question regarding exterior door handles 1 year 4 months ago #200675

I’ll pop out to the garage later & have a look at what I have, they won’t be HQM & will be shorn of all their ironmongery.
I’ll see if the keyhole is a removable blank or moulded in, if they are moulded I can work a hole to accommodate.

Question regarding exterior door handles 1 year 4 months ago #200679

I have a pair of gunmetal grey handle husks & both have the ubiquitous cracks, although this doesn’t pose a problem, unfortunately I’m short of the particular adhesive I use & thus I’m awaiting the postmen’s return to normal duties.
The handle for your LHD car will require work with an appropriate hole drilling & a countersink working, non of which is a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goodwood

Question regarding exterior door handles 1 year 4 months ago #200681

Thank you for clarification. There is a used one in this color presently available on ebay but it will require drilling as you have described. Drilling is not hard but it will not look quite the same. It will also require a small amount of painting around the drilling.

I think I will just order a new one and have it painted. The upside being that the plastic is newer and should last longer than a used part.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT