Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

The first year. 1 year 4 months ago #200667

The F completed its first year in my service today with a lot of running about. It has covered more miles in the last year than in the last seven, which has done it good. There has been a bit of bodywork, regassed spheres, a couple of polybushes, a set of dampers and new tyres on nicer wheels, A new battery, the biggest I could get was a must and there is still stuff to do. There is a new hood to fit, a quick rack waiting in the garage as well as a set of stainless underpipes.

Electronically it has had extended range on the locking, a boot popper and emergency bonnet release, A voltmeter/USB charger, a spare power socket fitted, Power mirrors and a later T bar with speakers. A bling kit underbonnet and lots of brackets painting.
A decent stereo with twenty first century functionality and a low coolant warning device were fitted in the Summer before a good trip down to Le Mans to earn a sticker on the back. Long trips to see the bands I had missed out on will stay in the memory for as long as I have one.

A dozen or more other minor tweaks and ideas have been fitted or replaced (52mmTB, Stainless mesh grilles, a replacement reat tub seal and the later Mk2 Steering wheel airbag are a few I remember.)

It seems like a lot of work and if you throw in finding and fettling another one for Gortour who wanted one for the LM trip, It has been a busy year. The F has handled it with distinction. It has been 100% reliable and never failed to proceed. It has provided a load of fun, Julie enjoys going out in it and it gets a lot of courtesy at junctions. Recently it has had to be the daily car and tomorrow it will be off for a 400 mile weekend trip. I just wish I had bought one earlier, (when they were stupidly cheap! It is a brilliant little car that has surprised and delighted me. On this day a year ago, I was hoping that I would be happy with an MG but bought it because every time I bought a car to play with, Julie complained that it wasn't a little sporty job with a folding roof. I should have listened earlier!

So Thank you to the little MGF and to the community of friendly and helpful souls that gravitate to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neilpinleeds

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The first year. 1 year 4 months ago #200668

We’ll happy acquisition day. The catalog of jobs done & those to do chart the same route as most spanner literate owners, their footprints concur with yours.
The old adage of older & wiser seems to evaporate when dealing with classic anything, cars in particular & a point might be reached where tinkering with it is as rewarding as trying to knock a fraction of a second a favourite route (me now).
I recon I’ve done all the upgrades I set out to do & because I enjoyed it so much (with the exception of the gear cable) I’m finding trinkets that we’re never on my list.
I never wanted a hard top but when one turned up for forty quid I bought it, then invented a pulley system to lift it off & into the workshop roof space; dropping it back on is the reverse of - - - as Haynes would say.
And so it goes & thanks for the trip I’ve greatly enjoyed your posts they display your oblique strategies. Tah. Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: minimax

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Airportable.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT