Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Some light on the dark side. 1 year 4 months ago #200541

I have nothing against improving my MG. One touch windows, better locking range, bootlid releases and enlarged throttle bodies - bring it on. I'm a bit sniffy though about the meaningless mod for its own sake. Changing a perfectly good part just because you can isn't necessarily a good idea.
Recently a supplier thought to come up with an alloy lower wishbone. I know the factory one has a limited lifespan but it was designed by people with a vested interest in not letting their customers get seriously killed and the mathematics to be sure that the part was safe. I couldn't lift a barge pole long enough. I wouldn't start swapping out bits of the engine management system for those of a different model to fix a fault that has developed in an engine that is inherently reliable as proved by tens of thousands of standard ones running sweetly for 20 years either.
I wonder if people think these things through. Most of the time the designers knew what they were doing. If it doesn't work properly, it will if it is returned to the state it was in before it broke. Find the broken bit and mend the car that way. Redesigning it won't fix the problem!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, neilpinleeds

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Some light on the dark side. 1 year 4 months ago #200553

The Swiss vehicle inspectorate disallows anything that is not original (ie factory). I have been caught several times.

Over the years I have fitted non-factory suspension parts and always wondered whether they have gone through any sort of proper tests.

Your point is a good one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT