Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200482

After what was going to be a 'get organised and get chrimbo shopping done' sort of day, got a lift home in a truck.

Still, the MG looks amazing even though it's nothing more than a paper weight at the moment.

Now do I reach out for the Christmas jumper, or a new head gasket?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200485

After what was going to be a 'get organised and get chrimbo shopping done' sort of day, got a lift home in a truck.

Still, the MG looks amazing even though it's nothing more than a paper weight at the moment.

Now do I reach out for the Christmas jumper, or a new head gasket?

The ride of shame!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200486

The sad thing was there was no tell tale signs. The heating worked fine, oil pressure was looking good too.
The only thing I can think of was the water pump gave up. I guess the only clue would have been when we noticed the hot air in the cabin was actually blowing cold.

Looked down at the dash and saw the hot water all the way to the max.

Now to decide to get the engine rebuilt and new 'other' bits, eg water level indicator, stainless under floor heater pipes, or to scrap it. Don't really want to do that to be honest.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200487

Once the heater is blowing cold, you have already lost coolant. I would make an educated guess that the problem is more likely to have been caused by a leak than by a failed water pump.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200488

This is why a low coolant alarm warning system is ESSENTIAL for our cars, being a tight arse and not wanting go to the expense of fitting one is a total false economy.
I suggest anyone reading this who hasn’t got one fitted to go and get one immediately if not sooner!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200489

Mine has a self test function which activates on tight left turns taken fast! I am still thinking ot putting a T piece in one of the hoses to put a pressure sensor in as this will give a warning before the water is lost.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200490

I am still offering a discount to members of The-T-Bar for my successful low-coolant alarm kit.

It is easy to fit, with comprehensive fitting instructions, and requires no drilling into the expansion vessel. Contact me via private message.

Bruce.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by BruceTF135.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 5 months ago #200491

I don't think it's a matter of being a tight arse. There always seems more pressing things to spend the few pennies we have on the MG, such as replacing sticky brake callipers, or starter motor or new front brake disks, etc.

I know that when I finally get the pounds together to repair the head gasket along with the cause of the HGF, I will include some sort of low coolant warning device.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 4 months ago #200507

Has anyone fitted the VW tank with built in alarm? it seems a cost-effective answer but only if it works. I read somewhere the tank is double skinned which means false alarms caused by cornering are reduced so does this mean it does not require a delay circuit?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 4 months ago #200508

I don't see how a double skinned tank would do that. My alarm gives a couple of beeps when cornering hard left which I use as a system check so I don't need a delay circuit. (Why delay the warning of a problem that will scrap the engine in a short space of time?) Mischievously, Why not fit a three gallon header tank in the boot and give the engine a bit more self destruct fuse?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 4 months ago #200510

Mine virtually never false alarms unless the level has dropped. I have to try hard to make that happen. Of course, if I was really caning it around a race track, that might not be the case :-)

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 4 months ago #200513

I’ve never gotten a false alarm from hard cornering…….note to self, must try harder! :hgf:

The delay on the Browns & Gammon unit fitted to my car seems to do it’s job, I say “seems” as it’s never gone off nor has it had reason to do so.

But it does do it’s little self test routine on startup, so I can only assume all is well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LanderMG

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT