Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200248

I have a question regarding the rear window stop adjustment. Item F in the image.
I generally do not have a problem with window fit / alignment. My only issue is that the window stop (F) is not making contact (or just barely) with the rear glass rail stop (G/H). I cannot figure out how to make them come closer to each other. I tried adjusting 'B' but that did not seem to help (tightening made it worse)

In order to prevent the rear glass waist rail from getting caught above the window stop, I have placed the window stop at the highest position.
The fit of the window is generally good, it is just that the rear of the window goes a bit high when it is all the way up. It also stops awkwardly without the rear stop.
I have no issues with the front stop.

Any advice on how this can be adjusted?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic inserted

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200249

Here are a couple of photos. The stud bracket / window stop was slightly out of alignment when the photo was taken but has since been straightened. As you can see, The 'stopper' on glass retention assembly is just shy of the stud bracket / window stop. I cannot figure out how to get the glass retention assembly closer to the stud bracket. The distance between them seems to be fixed in place by the channel to which they are both attached.

Attachments:

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200254

There is an updated window stop, which sticks out further.
David
:shrug:

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200256

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. This window stop is relatively new. I purchased it from MGMania last year as a spare when I was adjusting the window (based on what I had read here, I assumed the rubber parts would be worn out / gone). It is however the same dimension as the original part. I was actually thinking of combining 2 stoppers in order to make it stick out more, although an improved design would be a more elegant solution.

Do you know where I can get this upgraded part?

Jonathan

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200258

Rimmer Bros, or Brown and Gammons are usually reliable.

David
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200262

Hi David,

Thank you for the link. I do not have a problem with that part. It is the 'L' shaped bracket that the stoppers are supposed to come into contact with. Also, it is not with the front stopper, it is at the rear of the door / rear stopper. The problem is the 'L' bracket that is supposed to come into contact with the stopper on the window lift clamp assembly is not making contact. Please see the image below. The rear stopper is part of the window lift clamp assembly

My feeling is that the window runner (not sure if this is the correct term) - the part on which the window clamp assembly slides) becomes slightly distorted at the top over time due the force of the window being pushing against the seals over time. This eventually creates a slight gap between the stopper and the stop bracket. Fixing this distortion with the glass in situ is a delicate. Not sure if I am willing to try this out of fear of breaking the window. I also do not want to take the window assembly apart as I feel that I will struggle to align everything right when I put it all back together. The other alternative is to fabricate an 'L' bracket that is slightly longer on the top.

Attachments:

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200270

Ah....I was confused. The pic I posted is the only window stop on the mechanism. There is no rear window stop, that 'L' shaped piece is just a bracket. It doesn't have to make contact.

I believe that the first diagram is confusing the issue by pointing to two glass stops. There is only the one stop on the glass to contact the front one. Possibly there was an intention to fit a rear stop on the glass but it found to be superfluous. I have adjusted many a window fitment and have never even looked at this rear 'Stop'.

You could be worrying for nothing...
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200271

David
Attachments:

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200273

I had a similar problem on the front one and did an engineered solution ie a bodge, the existing (crap) plastic on the L bracket was broken so I replaced it with a wider piece of suitable plastic (not brittle) to increase the overlap. I fixed this under the L using 2 small countersunk bolts/nuts close to the edges and 2 pack just in case. You need to check the clearance at all states of open/close to see what width you can get away with, you also need to be aware that the thicker the plastic the more adjustment you lose at the upper end.

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200295

Sorry about my confusion regarding the appropriate terminology.

David - I do not question your extensive knowledge and experience with MGF / TFs but I am just wondering why the workshop manual describes the 'L' bracket (under 'F') as 'these give glass height adjustment (this is also the glass stop)', if it does not make contact. Also, there is piece that sticks out of the glass retention assembly - is this not meant to make contact with the bracket? If not, what is it for? Why is the L bracket even there if it does make contact with anything?

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 5 months ago #200303

I honestly don't know. I'm more than willing to admit I might be talking rubbish (lol, it happens) but I can only repeat that I've never even looked at that rear bracket/whatever as a stop when adjusting windows. And it has never been an issue for me.

If somebody else has more info on this I'm happy to be corrected.:yesnod:
David

Rear window stop adjustment - does not make contact 1 year 4 months ago #200348

Spent a few hours of my life trying to resolve water leaks through the door seals in my F and TF, but that was some time ago.
Have you tried adjusting the blue plastic serrated shim marked G on the diagram. Be careful to mark its position before altering it so you can move it back if you need to.
When slackened off the shim will move up and down which slightly alters the vertical camber. Maybe this will get you the contact with the stop you need?
Bit of a trial and error to get it right or near enough I'm afraid, you will need patience with these adjustments.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goodwood

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT