Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200101

I did not even notice that I was overtightening it. I kept turning it and it just 'popped'.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics added

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200105

More plastic rubbish!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200106

It's gone brittle with age.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200112

Yes, exactly the same as mine just did! Going to try to make something a bit better - I hope!

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200113

Yep , plastic crap , made in ........China ! I know cos I bought one recently. :rant:

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200115

Yep, mine went the same way. I just cleared the plastic off the end of the long bolt and a couple penny washers and lock nut and bingo back in business.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: neilpinleeds

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted pics

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200119

Nice fix!

Also, always grease the threads as standing by the side of the road trying and failing to unscrew the retainer can cause mental breakdown.
As happened on a group trip to Scotland. The thread was so seized it was beginning to deform the bulkhead rather than unscrew...:bat:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

This is what happens when you overtighten the spare wheel retainer 1 year 6 months ago #200127

Yep , plastic crap , made in ........China ! I know cos I bought one recently. :rant:

The original ones were probably made in Smethwick, the same design was on the 1982 metros.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT