Sign In   Register

Topic

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200108

Cheers Chaps - do we know what speed signal the EPAS requires?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200109

I have a module attached which produces two square waves at 50% duty cycle at approx 10 volts, one at 82Hz, this feeds into the EPAS on Pin 15 and represents the engine running, the second signal is a variable frequency via a pot and is between 19Hz and 295Hz and feeds into Pin 7 of the EPAS and represents MPH, this pot allows for adjustment of assistance to the steering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Last edit: Post by Lexus.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200142

What tools have you tried? I know the following will read and connect to the EPAS unit directly via the unit or via OBD II.

PScan, Sykes ACR 4 POD4 or G2 pod, SP SPi, Delphi DS100/150, TopDon-ArtiDiag BT808.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200143

Not used any that you have listed albeit I have started going through the motions of the purchase and order of a PSCAN interface once the guy has recovered from his illness.
I have tried a few OBD 11 scanners but none seem to have the correct protocol which I believe is IS09141 and as I'm running mine as a stand alone system it may not like it not being OBD 11 compliant.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200147

Can you advise what EPAS ECU you are using, is it MGF or MGTF.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200148

Don't know which it came from as brought from fleabay but the EPAS ECU is a Series G, I believe part number is 00720, also had same issue with F series EPAS ECU where OBD 11 scanners wont read it.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200149

Thankyou, I believe that is the MGTF ECU that picks up speed from gearbox sensor
Based on my testing 82hz equates to 2460 rpm
The speedo reads 1MPH per 1 Hz so your signal equates to 19 to 295MPH = What made you chose those frequencies

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200150

These figures are from a bolt on module that does the simulation and not chosen by me, they are as measured from the output of the module.

I have read somewhere that if the ECU see an engine speed of more than 2500 for more than 30 sec with no speed input it will go into fail safe mode so perhaps that's why its set to the equivelent of 2460 RPM on pin 15.
In testing the EPAS will run without a speed input on pin 7.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200151

I have a feeling those speed figures are for the early EPAS ECU as is does tally with my testing. Also having no speed signal will probably give you full assistance at all times and as it thinks revs are below 3000 will never cut out.

Attached a pic showing my testing using MGTF speedo which shows frequency to Speed is 1-1

I have mine running of ECU rpm signal and a separate speed pickup but was having issues. I then realised I had an early EPAS ECU so changing to the 720.

Would be good to do the same testing on the MGF to workout what frequency it is sending to the early EPAS ECU

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic added

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200152

I've have had both the F series and G series boxes open and the board numbers and layout are identical but have no idea if software is different, also the connections are the same and both series will run in my setup, at the moment i'm running mine with pin 7 disconnected but am still getting an occasional drop out until reset.

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200153

Well I guess without the speed sensor your are getting full assist all the time. In that case the motor is probably getting hot and I believe they may have a thermal cut out.

Is your steering very light ?

EPAS and PSCAN 1 year 5 months ago #200154

Steering not over heavy without assistance, did wonder about being heat related myself but the other day i'd not gone 200 yds and it tripped, but then carried on ok for next 10 mile.

Have attached later and early type wiring diagram that I'd been working from

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics added
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT