Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Minor reverse light issue (one side only) 1 year 7 months ago #199863

I have one reverse light that does not work. I have inspected the bulb and the filament appears fine. It can't be the reverse light switch (the other brake light works)s, and my boot cables are in good condition (besides, they should not effect the reverse light). I am thinking perhaps that despite the appearance of the bulb, it may be defective or perhaps there is a loose connection of the reverse light wire to the taillight assembly.

Any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Minor reverse light issue (one side only) 1 year 7 months ago #199865

Remove non-working reverse bulb and measure if you have 12V on that terminal when you put in reverse. In that way you will onowmif it is problem of wiring or the bulb.

Minor reverse light issue (one side only) 1 year 7 months ago #199866

If one side works but not the other, it is easy to check the wiring for the non-working light - the cable run is all in the boot.

Minor reverse light issue (one side only) 1 year 7 months ago #199870

If you don't have a meter to check for 12v or for continuity in the bulb, simply swap the reversing light bulbs to establish whether it is the bulb or something else.

Minor reverse light issue (one side only) 1 year 7 months ago #199871

All the contacts on the rear light connector plate are plated steel (crap) & they oxidised, cut up an old ink rubber into small cubes & with a pair of long nosed pliers to grip the cubes scrub over all your contacts until they are bright. Do this with the edge connector & bulb holders & now you’re in with a chance.
Without going out to the car & stripping out the boot to check you won’t be able to get into the contacts on the wire end with your rubber, a piece of fine wet & dry over a knife blade to gently wipe these over.
Cleanliness is even more important if you are using LED lamps as they draw only a few milliamps. M

Minor reverse light issue (one side only) 1 year 7 months ago #199878

Thanks for the advice. I will try these out and report back shortly.

Minor reverse light issue (one side only) 1 year 5 months ago #200102

I finally got around to dealing with this. I changed the bulb and cleaned the contacts and the problem was solved. The old bulb looked OK but was probably not.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT