Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

management light on took to local garage 1 year 8 months ago #199765

It came up with several codes p0481,p0118 p0553 and po170 he thinks its the coolant temp sensor but the temp gauge is reading normal a y suggestions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

management light on took to local garage 1 year 8 months ago #199766

Sorry missed the heading.

Can i ask what the problem was? 2 codes are temp related, 1 is power steering and the other fuel. These might be old codes logged on the ecu, why not just have them cleared, run the car for a couple of weeks and check the codes again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by SteveFMk1.

management light on took to local garage 1 year 8 months ago #199767

Thanks for the prompt reply we only had it 4 weeks and I just have just replaced the cambelt. There are several other little jobs to sort but the car is running fine coolant temperature is about halfway. I did unplug the coolant fans sensor to check they are both working which they are. A few days ago the engine management light came on but the car is running fine. The garage seems to think its the coolant sensor but the gauge is reading normal I'm wondering if it's the coolant fan sensor. They have cleared the error codes so I think like you suggested I will run it and see how it goes

management light on took to local garage 1 year 8 months ago #199770

There is more than one temp sensor, there is one for the gauge and a seperate one for the ecu.
It may well be that the temp sensor for the ecu is buggered, or the plugs on the two sensors have been put on arse about.
Gauges aren’t very accurate, in order to be accurate they would need their calibration checked regularly ( Not a practical proposition ) a gauge is best used as a comparator, the actual numerical reading in itself at any given time is relatively meaningless, it’s various readings over a period of time that show a trend away from normal is their true value in diagnosis.
Once you get used to the range where a gauge needle normally sits, it’s when the needle sits somewhere other than normal that you worry
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbe

management light on took to local garage 1 year 8 months ago #199772

As above, there are two coolant temp sensors, the one for the ECU is the one with two pins, the one for the dash has one pin.

There are two values for the two pin sensor depending on the engine management system. They used to be easy to tell apart as they were different colours but after market suppliers make them in any colour.

To check the two pin sensor plug an OBD reader in and see what temperature, if any,

To test the one pin sensor unplug it and earth the lead, the gauge should go to the top.

I disagree with Cobber - the dash gauge is good. The needle starts to move when the coolant is at 60'. When it reaches operating temp at 88' the needle will sit just below half way and remain there all the way up to 110'.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

management light on took to local garage 1 year 8 months ago #199778

Another really helpful reply thank you very much. Hopefully I can now sorted it many thanks for all the replies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT