Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

1.8 VVC Engine Oil 1 year 7 months ago #199757

Hi,

I've recently bought an MGF with the 1.8 VVC engine in it and I plan to do a full service this weekend. I've been doing research on a whole load of things service-wise, one of which ofcourse being the engine oil. There seems to be a fair bit of back on forth on the internet about using 10W40 semi synthetic and 5W40 full synthetic.

I think, from the research I've done, that I need to be using 10W40 semi synthetic, as the VVC system is designed to work with this, and the piston which ultimately operates the VVC takes the viscosity of the oil in to account and adjusts based on engine temperature, and It appears to me that the control system assumes that a particular type of oil is in the engine. So putting the incorrect oil in would lead to incorrect operation of the VVC, therefore the oil must be a semi synethic 10W40.

Can someone confirm whether this is the correct type of oil to be using? At the moment, I've got this Mobil oil earmarked as the one to get:
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/mobil-super-2000-x1-engine-oil-10w-40-5ltr-521771871

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1.8 VVC Engine Oil 1 year 7 months ago #199758

Hi,
Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 semi synthetic is the preferred choice for most K series owners. An odd tin of Wynns hydraulic valve lifter added to the oil change is also advised if you are starting to get any valve tapping sound.

Sundance

The following user(s) said Thank You: BasicallyAnF1Car

1.8 VVC Engine Oil 1 year 7 months ago #199764

Cheers, I use Magnatec in my other car every year and have had no trouble, so I think I'll go with that then. Good price at Halfords at the moment too.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-magnatec-10w40-a3-b4-oil-4-litre-918615.html

Not sure If I have that sound or not as I don't know what a "normal" engine sounds like!

1.8 VVC Engine Oil 1 year 7 months ago #199771

Until recently Halfords was selling Magnatec 10/40 for just £18.79, ask if they have any old stock :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BasicallyAnF1Car

1.8 VVC Engine Oil 1 year 7 months ago #199793

I normally use magnitec.

Most places sell 4 litres at a reasonable price and assume that because most car need 4.5 or 5 litres you will buy the super expensive 1 litre bottles to make up the difference. I just buy 2 off 4 litres and safe the rest for top ups or use as the balance for the next full change.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT