Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199678

Bonjour, After several months it has taken me to change the engine in my 1998 MGF, I am ready to start up.

Colant systel full and bled, oil and filter added.

It was suggested that I remove plugs and give short runs until oil pressure was obtained.

First problem was the key fobs . After battery changes and following the handbook re-registering, they work fine.

But the starter key does nothing. I have tried pressing the fob buttons after fitting the key. Everything else works, lights, doors.

What should I try and check first? I don't have a code reader. I feel quite useless.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199679

Check the connections on the starter motor. The small spade connector is notorious for giving a poor connection.
David
:shrug:

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199681

Thank you, wil get at the connections this afternoon

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199682

Are we talking about the black covered cable connected below the solenoid? It feels tight and well connected.
Attachments:

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199683

Hello,
Is the wire connected to the correct terminal?
One way to test if the starter motor is okay, and that the engine will turn over, is to bridge the bigger terminals of the solenoid with an old screwdriver, or use a jump lead. There will be sparks when you do this, but if the starter turns the engine, there is a fault either in the solenoid itself, or the wiring connections.
Hope you have good luck with this

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199684

There should be 3 wires on the solenoid two thick ones secured with nuts and one thinner wire with a spade terminal it will do no harm to clean up all three (disconnect batt first) You may also want to check the engine earth strap did you connect it?

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199704

The wire which connects by spade connecter is supposed to engage the solenoid when the key is turned. I connected this wire to a meter and the meter to earth. No current when turning the key. The wire disappears into a bundle which goes to the engine management system. This out of my depth. MGFs and their owners are few in Brittany.

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199707

Sad to say this bit is beyond my knowledge, the Rave workshop manual and wiring diagrams are available on here (click community on top bar, then downloads) you may then be able to trace it back.
Presumably it all worked prior to the engine change so why not now, have you checked the fuse? the wiring diagram will show what one because off the top of my head I don't know.

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199709

Any even 1/4 competent auto electrician, should easily be able to solve this, perhaps you would be better off to consult one.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199710

I would run a wire from the battery to the spade terminal. Just tap the spade terminal with the wire and you should get a reaction from the starter. If you do it is the wiring between the ignition switch and the starter. If you don't check the earth from the gearbox diff to the rear bulkhead, an easy one to miss when reinstalling the engine.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199714

Sometimes the ignition switch is the faulty part. I have seen where the contacts are worn in the plug that the ignition barrel engages. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Replacement engine start up 1 year 8 months ago #199718

Thank you all. I'm looking at wiring diagrams and will do some simple checks myself. Also trying to find an auto electrician who might know an MG

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT