Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear brake calliper handbrake lever 1 year 9 months ago #199306

Hello,and

Is it normal to have different levels of rotation on each of the calliper of the handbrake levers? My handbrake is slipping and when I checked I was able to rotate one lever, more so than the other. Is it that one is internally clogged up, or the other is broken up inside?

Slight turn of one and the wheel is locked. Twice as much rotation for the other and the wheel is locked. This means that when connected to the cables and lever is pulled in the cabin only one calliper is locking the wheels.
Which do I replace, if any?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by LanderMG.

Rear brake calliper handbrake lever 1 year 9 months ago #199311

Quick answer is no.
Long answer is no, the adjustment mechanism should be the same on both sides. However, the mechanism tends to seize up over time leading to poor handbrake efficiency. There is an internal bush/bearing that disintegrates. Its possible that one of your callipers is still adjusting, the other not. You can attempt to strip out and refurb the callipers but it is easier just to replace the failed calliper(s).

There is a how to in the list investigating the handbrake mechs. Strip down
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Rear brake calliper handbrake lever 1 year 9 months ago #199313

So I guess replace both callipers is best as I would not know which has actually failed?
Also I guess it would be a great time to replace the hoses and fittings( banjo, clips)

Rear brake calliper handbrake lever 1 year 9 months ago #199379

I have just replaced the rear calipers on my new TF. I was going to strip and clean them up like I have done in the past with my other TF's, however I found a set on ebay new for under 90 quid for both sides....not worth the time and effort to refurb the old calipers as both old calipers were well rusted, albeit working fine. I just stripped, derusted and painted the carriers and handbrake cable brackets and fitted new slider pins. I also painted the new calipers with VHT paint.
While they were off, treated the car to some red braided brake hoses too. Recent MOT after fitting the brakes, gave the handbrake a 2% error in balance between both sides!

Sundance

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Rear brake calliper handbrake lever 1 year 8 months ago #199457

I have decided not to refurb too. I found a pair of new calipers for £70 and am looking for a pair of braided hoses next.
I thought might just as well take this approach than buy 2nd hand callipers, and stick with the existing rubber hoses even though the hoses look in good condition.
Debating if I would paint the new callipers a colour or leave as is. The hoses I'm looking for will be blue so maybe I could paint them a blue colour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Rear brake calliper handbrake lever 1 year 8 months ago #199464

Hel who made the red braided stainless hoses I used in the picture above make them in most colours. You can get blue if you so wish. Also VHT paint is available in many colours, including blue.
If you do paint them, suggest cleaning any surface rust off them, as the 70 quid ones are shelf soiled examples and will have some deposits of topside corrosion, then treat with rust inhibitor before painting. I wire brushed off the carriers and handbrake cable bracket to as shiny as I could get then treated them with rust killer before painting.
While mine was off, I also repainted the brake servo and master cylinder and fitted a new painted bracket to the ABS modulator.

Hope they turn out good....also remember to flush out the brake fluid and replace with new when you refit the calipers.

Sundance

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT