Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199251

I wanted to fit a battery cut off and went for the post mounted one for easy fitment but it only fits the (smaller0 negative post and not the (larger) positive post does anyone know of one that fits the positive post?
Failing this are the remotely mounted cut off switches capable of handling the starter loads? all the ones I saw are rated at 100 amps continuous with very short times (sec's) of up to loads of 500 amps, is this adequate?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199252

Any link to cut off switch as I am intrugued where it is mounted when you say you have smaller negative post and bigger positive post?
If it is battery terminals both battery terminals (positive and negative) are the same size in my case.

Last edit: Post by Roverlike.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199255

It seems to be standard that the positive is larger (19mm) than the negative (17mm) probably to stop people fitting the battery incorrectly, I admit that I always thought they were the same size before this. I can open out the clamp to fit the isolator on the positive post but then the 19mm on the existing lead wont fit on the isolator 17mm secondary post. I could pack it out but would prefer something that fits tightly and neat.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199256

I have an isolator fitted to the earth post and it works a treat. One complete revolution on the knob to complete the circuit, synchronise the fob, and away you go.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199258

Yes I fitted it to the earth as I was there but I want it on the live so I can put a jumper to the radio then I wont have to tune the thing in every time I disconnect the battery.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199260

It fits the negative because it is the negative (earth) that one should be disconnected first, not the positive, for safety reasons.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199262

I understand that for safety you should disconnect the earth first as this means when undoing the live if you accidently touch the body or another earthing point you wont complete a circuit. When a device like an isolator is fitted and no tools are involved I can't really see what difference it makes as long as the circuit is broken.
For those of us old enough to know most cars used to be positive earth, from what I've read this was changed because alternators replaced dynamos and that required the change, but the rule in my book is always disconnect the earth first regardless of polarity.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199267

Invalid or non-existent item ID.

David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199275

David I will have a look but I suspect this too is made for the negative terminal, the clue I spotted was the N stamped on it

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199276

If you wanna [solate from the + side then you need to use remote battery isolator switch like these:

You can even get n electronic version with remote control:

But I'd be wary of this one.....dubious Chinese quality , there may well be some out there made in places where moe care is taken when things are made
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: deepfat

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199278

I think your right I can't find an isolator to fit the positive post anywhere, it's a bit more work but what else would I be doing, going to the pub, sitting in the sun, driving to the coast

Battery cut off 1 year 10 months ago #199282

Invalid or non-existent item ID.

It is for a negative post. I had it fitted in my MGF but after a few months I took it out.

1. Looked clumsy/Naff
2. I got tired of resetting the radio and clock.

I now leave the car on a CTEC charger using a recharge connection that sits behind my number plate.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.926 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT