Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199042

Hi All 

just picked up my 2003 MGTF and am making a list of everything that I need to do to her to get her into the condition I want. The car has covered 54,000 and whilst general servicing was done meticulously the previous owner seemed to ignore some things so 1st on the list is a cambelt kit (last changed 7,000 miles ago but that was in 20212)

My question related to the gearchange, the gears select positively but when selecting 1st there is a loud clunk in the change area (metal hitting metal) and once a gear is selected the gear knob can be moved across to the opposite side.

This is my 1st TF but assume that this isn't right? is there something that needs replacing or adjusting?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199043

Hi,
I am the least mechanical person on this forum, however...
When I bought my TF the gear change wasn’t brilliant, so I did 2 cheap fixes which even if they don’t work fall into the category “it needed doing anyway”.

1. I changed the transmission oil, or rather the garage did at the same time as the MOT because I couldn’t loosen the filler plug.

2. And I did do this myself, I changed the two gear linkage bushes, underneath at the rear of the car.

Hope this helps

Bob

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bluemoon

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199045

Two things occur. Firstly your clunk, this sounds like the stick is biased too far forward & is hitting the metalwork around the stick gimble. The second is to replace the scroll pin on the gear change bell crank, if you can’t get it out you might have moved it enough to present a different section to the shaft, which could improve the feel. I hate scroll pins so much that I have been happy with the improvements by shifting it a fraction of an inch.

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199047

Thanks

Will take a look at both these areas in next day or so. 

Had a successful afternoon today, the seller told me that the fuel gauge wasn't working, he had never looked into it just filled tank drove a set number of miles and refilled. Decided to see what the issue was turned out someone had been in before and joined wires with butt crimp connectors and one wire had broken. Stripped back, new section of wire in place soldered and heat shrunk and hey presto one working fuel gauge :-)

Now to tackle the abortion of wiring to the front fogs!

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199051

Well decided to look into the issue over the weekend and methinks that something appears to be missing after looking online at pictures of the mechanism in the cab.

I'm sure there should be a plastic top to the mechanism which clearly on mine is missing!   previous owners must have decided not to replace it when I assume it broke.

Online shopping here I come   

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bluemoon.

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199052

Don’t ya just love that moment when you discover that a either a previous owner and/or their mechanic was a total dipshit!,

There are way too many clowns about these days and nowhere near enough circuses to keep them busy and out of harms way!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199053

Don’t ya just love that moment when you discover that a either a previous owner and/or their mechanic was a total dipshit!,

There are way too many clowns about these days and nowhere near enough circuses to keep them busy and out of harms way!

Certainly is true not the only thing discovered so far but I got it for a good price with these faults in mind.

I'm confused and still not 100% sure if the plastic should be there as other pictures show it as mine and those found on fleabay show it?

This is what I have seen on line that differs to mine shown above?

Attachments:

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199055

Yours looks like mine. That looks like something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bluemoon

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199056

My 2004 TF looks exactly like yours, no plastic there. 

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199057

thanks looks like the plastic one is a later SAIC MG gearchange

I will check linkages and bolts for wear and tightness and see if this improves anything

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199064

Yeah, the plastic one is from a SAIC built car. It could be fitted to yours but you'll need to change the cables as well.

Have a look at the info in the how to guides linked to the top of the page.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Gear Change 1 year 11 months ago #199069

Thanks everyone for the input decided to look at linkages etc yesterday.
Gearbox end seems fine but the shift end seemed to have some loose bolts tightened these and the shift seems great no more clonking against body when selecting 1st or reverse

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT