Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199017

Hi everyone,
Is there a definitive official "MG" list of tyre sizes for the TF. I live in the Czech Republic with 10 years trouble free TF motoring, but on the technical car document it states that 15 inch wheels have 205 tyres and 16 inch wheels 215 tyres. Well, like everyone, I put 215's on the back and 195's on the front, but they told me that I must have 215's all round because that's what the document says, and failed the car. By the way, this was with the same guy who passed the car with the same wheels and tyres two years ago. If there is something "Official" about the tyre sizes that I could show them, I could possibly persuade the licencing authorities to change the technical document. In the meantime I'm having to buy two unneeded 215 tyres to pass the technical control.
Any pointers would be very helpful
Thanks
Keith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199021

Not sure how official it is but there is an extensive section on here.
https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-david-aiketgate-s-guides/152-tyres-sizes-pressures-how-to-find-recommended

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199024

Thanks Bob, it doesn't look "official" enough though. I'll think of some way around the problem, but I don't want to put it into print.
K

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199028

One question: do you have owners manual for MG TF? I think that owners manual should be official enough. There you have stated what goes to front and what goes to rear wheels. You can print that manual if you have it in electronic form.

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199031

Thanks Roverlike,
I hadn't thought of that so I printed out the front page and relevant wheel page and I'll go to the office tomorrow to see if they will add the 195/45 to the log book. It's only 5km, so not a big deal IF they do it.

Thanks again
Keith

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199032

I looked on both RAVE and my TF handbook which both quote 185/55 for 15" on the front so that wont help you, I thought our testers were a bit jobs worth but yours seem even more so. Over here we have had a rule on tyres over 10 years old being a fail, whilst looking on MOT requirements it appears this only relates to front "steered" wheels on cars and on the rear of minibuses unless they have a twin wheel arrangement, go figure.

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199038

So everyone,
I went to the office today and they refused to change the log book. I showed them the relevant page from the workshop manual but they said I "could have made this myself" I told them there were another 700+ pages if they wanted to see them all, but to no avail. They told me that the information had to come from a Czech firm!!! I explained that MG (who made the car) didn't exist any more and there were probably only 5 TF's in the country - but I don't know who owns them. Ah, they said you bought it in Germany! (are we still at war?). Of course they wont change it because they would have to admit they made a mistake in the first place, and government offices never make a mistake. The upshot is I've had to buy 2 x 215/40 tyres (to put on some spare wheels I've got), I'll put these on the car on Monday at the front and go back to the testing station on Tuesday for the car to pass the technical control. What happens with these new tyres after Tuesday is anyone's guess........... until the next test in 2024!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199076

There are other Dutch owners on The-T-Bar, one called something like The Flying Dutchman. Maybe they can help?

Re:Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199077

Dutch and Czech are not really the same 😉. I am afraid i can not be of any help here....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G781B met Tapatalk

Re:Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199078

Thanks to the MG mechanic, (yes, there is one here, he used to work in England, he's only 30km away, and he's got a beautiful RHD MGB GT), I was given a contact for HelpReg spol s.r.o. This firm issues technical documents for MG, Austin, Mini, Rover, Jaguar and Landrover (they are the main importer as well). They are recognised by the Dept of transport here, so anything they say should be accepted.
I had to send a copy of my Reg document and by return of post I received an official document listing the correct tyre sizes, along with other information. The cost was equivalent of 84 pounds.
Sadly, when I went to the registration office this morning, they had a "computer problem" and couldn't process any documents. Hmm, try again on Monday.

Re:Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199080

Good God , and I thought this country was bad ! :-)

Re:Failed MOT on tyre sizes 1 year 10 months ago #199081

Dutch and Czech are not really the same 😉. I am afraid i can not be of any help here....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G781B met Tapatalk

Sorry, Joris, I can't imagine what thoughts were going through my mind that placed the Czech Republic in The Netherlands!  :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: The driving dutchman

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT