Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

EPAS Light came on and no power steering 1 year 10 months ago #198971

Hello
My 1996 MK1 MGF EPAS light came on. I also have a soft clicking sound (like a turn signal) coming from I believe is the EPAS ECU. I never had any pulling in the steering. I tried to investigate all the usual quick fixes. Cleaning the fuse, checking for power to and from the fuse. My last resort was to put the Pscan to work. I am following all the prompts and I keep coming up with failure to communicate. This is happing on both fast and slow fix prompts. Any ideas?
Thanks Ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

EPAS Light came on and no power steering 1 year 10 months ago #198972

Early MGF had EPAS speed signal from speedo that was cable driven. If your speedo needle is not working or jumping it may be a slipping speedo cable, and that could be your clicking noise as well.

EPAS is very sensitive to speed signal. I had repeat EPAS failures due to a faulty (corroded pin) speed transducer but speedo always worked fine.

EPAS Light came on and no power steering 1 year 10 months ago #198974

I am sorry I should also have noted that my speedo and trip odometer are working as usual. The sound is not the cable, it is coming from somewhere under dash on passenger side. Has anyone ever heard of an EPAS ECU going bad?

Thank Ken

EPAS Light came on and no power steering 1 year 10 months ago #198977

If its clicking does it sound like a relay going on/off? If it is it may be a power supply issue. Known problem is the EPAS fuse under the bonnet. It corrodes and gives high resistance. It is a big (70 amp)single fuse on nearside inner wing under bonnet in a white plastic box near black engine bay fuse box. Giving this a good clean fixes many EPAS issues.

EPAS Light came on and no power steering 1 year 10 months ago #198978

Thanks for the reply. Yes it sounds like a relay. But it is not the main fuse. I pulled it, cleaned it, checked it and it has power going to it and coming out of it. The sound I believe is coming from the EPAS ECU. And that couldn't be in a more difficult location. I dare not try and reach it by hand for fear of setting off the airbag.
I am told to disconnect the battery and wait for 30 minuets or more before I attempt to work around the air bag. I did order a used EPAS ECU. I am just wondering why the Pscan is not telling me what the problem is. I keep getting prompts to turn off key, wait 10 seconds try again and then I get a message that I have a failure to communicate. on both fast and slow fixes. Very puzzling to say the least.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT