Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF mk1 loss of gears 2 years 5 days ago #198872

Could anyone help please?
Just been out for a run in my MGF and when I approached my drive went to select first gear to pull the car on the drive and couldn’t get any gear whatsoever, also the clutch pedal went to the floor and felt like it had no pressure.
Went in the house to get changed and have a look but when I returned to the car and started it up again everything worked fine, pressure in the clutch pedal and all gears available!
Is this a sign of a faulty clutch slave cylinder or something worse? Any help gratefully received….has this happened to anyone else?
:rant:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Ericmgf.

MGF mk1 loss of gears 2 years 4 days ago #198874

The important thing is that there is only one thing wrong but two symptoms. Could be slave and could be master. It will be one or the other. Although the slave is more likely, the master can fail if the clutch lever is tight. Remove the slave securing bolts and check the lever is free. At the same time, check the slave for leaks and the level in the reservoir.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ericmgf

MGF mk1 loss of gears 2 years 4 days ago #198881

If it was the slave cylinder, I would expect it to be leaking as a result (fluid pumped from the master cylinder must have gone somewhere!)

Master is a greater possibility

If doing one, do both, and flush out the fluid while at it.

Bleeding from empty can be challenging, but ezeebleed makes life easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ericmgf

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT