Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198837

Hi there,

I've had the anti roll hoops removed so that I can put the hood down on my MGF, but it only goes so far and won't go down any further? What am I doing wrong? The rear panel is glass and not plastic, I did try unzipping that to see if that made a difference, but it didn't?

Any help would be much appreciated. 🤗🤗

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic added

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198838

I'm not sure that I can be any help as I own a TF but, the hoods on all our cars are virtually identical apart from the plastic or glass screen as far as I am aware . There is a problem on all of them folding flat that is cured by way of two elastic / velcro straps that attach to the first two hood bars above both seats . Basically the straps pull each other towards one another to stop the hood binding / jamming . As these straps wear or stretch, the hood starts to jam when closing but, you simply put gentle forward pressure on the second bar and the hood should fully fold back . To be honest it shouldn't take much effort to fold it unless the upgrade to the glass screen is causing an issue . I'm sure someone on the T bar will eventually post what they do to avoid this with an F that has a glass screen .

John :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cathy

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper.

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198840

Thank you, I'll try that tomorrow! x
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198845

Fortunately when I bought my TF the seller showed me the trick of pushing back the second bar. I don't think the elastic in my hood provides any assistance, so I just have to push the bar back each time I fold the hood. I only found out about the elastic on here and thought that pushing back the bar was part of the process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, cathy

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198848

Brilliant! That solved it, have managed to get it down now, thank you for the tip! My next question is it ok to drive it without the hood cover? As the car didn't come with one? x

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198849

Yeah, you can drive it without the cover, i do it all the time when I can't be arsed putting the damned thing on
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: cathy

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198850

Great! Thank you!! xx

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198851

Great stuff Cathy , enjoy some top down cruising in your F . Just be gentle when folding it back . I've seen some spectacular results of just letting them drop !
Cobber , your replies always put a smile :lol: on my face .

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198858

Brilliant! That solved it, have managed to get it down now, thank you for the tip! My next question is it ok to drive it without the hood cover? As the car didn't come with one? x

Online there is some dashcam footage of a TF involved in head on crash (20-30mph??) and the hood comes flying over, which could be nasty.

Not sure if the cover could help prevent this, but MG Rover manual said it should be fitted when hood was down.

I didnt always drive with cover on, and a few times going over bad road surface it would lift up significantly scaring the life out of me!

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 1 week ago #198859

I only have an F cover from my girlfriends old car which doesn't really fit the TF. It's only been on once or twice, so I've pretty much always driven the car without it. Certainly wouldn't hold down the hood in any kind of accident.

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 5 days ago #198877

I think ie I don't know that the F has a different fixing at the rear, the TF one is pretty well secured by the boot lid and I think would stand up to a low speed impact at least, but MG would obviously say it's an asset as they were selling them (with a crappy foam lining).

In my opinion the car looks neater and prettier with it fitted but it is a faff to fit and normally by the time I've fitted it the clouds have gathered and rain is threatening, oh the joys of living here.

MGF hood with glass panel won't go down? 2 years 4 days ago #198887

The earlier cover was more difficult to fit and doesn't have the tail that fits under the boot lid...
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT