Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd - is it supposed to align? 2 years 1 month ago #198527

I noticed recently that my gearbox was notchy and hard to put into gear sometimes. I read up in the posts about servicing the gearbox and the bell crank. I tightened up the gearbox bolt a little (they seemed pretty tight and was afraid to overtighten them) and I lubricated the ball joints and rest. I had noticed that the cable end a the bottom of the shifter was not aligned (i.e. twisted to a side), so I adjusted this so that it sits centered with the bal. I purchased a new set of shift cable ends for the bell the crank, but have not yet installed them (I need a lift). In the meantime, I lubricated the bell crank and cable ends with some silicone spray.

Overall, the car shifts much more smoothly now. My only remaining observation is that when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I need to make sure to move the shifter over to the right in order for it to go into third (i.e. instead of directly lining up with third gear after coming out of 2nd). It is not really a problem for me (reminds me of an of the old Porsche gearboxes) but I was just wondering if this is how the car was designed? If not, what do I need to do to adjust this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Goodwood.

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd - is it supposed to align? 2 years 1 month ago #198528

No, it isn't. You have got it nearly right but it can be set up properly with nothing more than patience and it will be good. Read aroud on it and consider a gearbox oil change which many assert works wonders.

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd - is it supposed to align? 2 years 1 month ago #198529

@minimax - thanks for the reply. Just to be clear: (i) no, it is not supposed to shift directly from 2 to 3rd (i.e. the title of this post); or (ii) no, it is is not how the car was designed (i.e. not shifting directly from 2nd to 3rd,- it should align)? Sorry this is my fault, I realized that I asked contradictory questions!

If it is supposed to shift directly from 2nd to 3rd, do you have any recommendations of what I need to adjust? What would 'push' the shifter towards 3rd? I have searched the archives but have not managed to find anything on this point. Looking at the shifter mechanism, I do not see anything obvious. I have tightened the 3 bolts (but not much) and I am afraid to overtighten them (there does not seem to be any torque settings for these bolts).

I would also add that my car shifts very well into 5th as well as reverse since doing this little job. My impression that shift linkage service / lubrication is just part of the not-so-obvious maintenance tasks of these cars.

In regard to the gearbox, I did change the gearbox oil in 2021. My plan is to change the cable ends at the bell crank later this year when an oil change is done. Visually they look OK but my feeling is that they are 17 years old and the rubber probably has play in it. It is very easy fix, it is just hard to get at without a lift.

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd - is it supposed to align? 2 years 1 month ago #198534

Look at the pattern on the gear lever. It should shift like that. Adjust each cable half a turn at a time and see what happens at the stick. Once you understand which way each adjustment works, you can set it up right. It is process not witchcraft and half an hour's study will explain it to you better than anybody else can.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT