Sign In   Register

Topic

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198393

I have published the software here. One touch windows

The circuit diagram and parts list to follow once it has gone from bench to car. The window relay is removed from the fuse box and fuses 4 and 5 are removed. The vacant relay socket provides fused power and the ignition signal to the one touch module which will be sited behind the switch panel in the centre console..
The sockets are removed from the switches and jumper cables reconnect the illumination to them the switches are connected to the module and the module to the sockets. The window motor relays are supplied through 10Amp self resetting fuses so that holding down a switch will not result in a motor burning out.
This replaces fuses 4 and 5 which are now redundant as the window switches only connect to ground. The current through them is minimal, extending their life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Added an active link to the software.

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198395

Thanks David. I'd have done that if I only knew how to!

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198418

And today, the hardware runs. I have refined out one relay and now use a pair of transistors to do the timeout switching. They are not cheap and I will need to sort out an alternative if I made a batch of them. The computer board solders directly to the relay PCB which has been lightly hacked to provide connections to the car. A small piece of Veroboard about 30 x 45mm is currently home to the voltage regulator and options circuits. As I am only building it for me, it isn't worth making up a circuit board but it wouldn't be difficult. If I were to do that, I would make a surface mount board for small size and ease of construction. It would then fit within the footprint of the relay board making a neat box 80x55x35mm. The spade connectors shoud arrive tomorrow and I should be able to get it ready to fit and test in situ.

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198432

This is a great little project and one I will look to do.
I have fitted two relays, one for each window on my 98 F for one touch drop but would love to get the switching so that I can raise and lower the windows as well as the double click to lift the windows. It's a feature I have on the Freelander and wish I could repeat the same on the F. Now maybe I can. Just so happens I have an Uno in my parts bin.

Could the same thing be done with a raspberry pi, say the Zero for example?

Thank you again

Last edit: Post by LanderMG.

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198434

The Pi is bigger and draws more current AFAIK. This is a good job for an Arduino as it really requires a microcontroller rather than a small PC. Besides, the code is already written and tested! I wrote it on an Uno but made the unit with a Pro Mini as it makes for a nice small module
Attachments:

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198436

The Arduino is soldered to the top left of the relay board in the picture beneath the accessory board which is the veroboard in the upper right. The two scraps of veroboard are for plugging the cables into the Arduino and it all fits quite nicely into an appropriate box...

Attachment not found

Last edit: Post by minimax.

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198437

Circuit diagram updated 17/2/2022. Finalised for mk1 MGF.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by minimax.

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198438

Thank you for the photos. I will order the pro mini and put a BoM together.
I think I understand the circuit diagram enough to make a board.
What's the relay board you used please?

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198439

12V 1/2/4/8 Channel Relay Board Module for Arduino Raspberry Pi ARM AVR DSP PIC from the well known auction site. 4 way one £3.95. Are you making a PCB for it or using a chunk of veroboard? I have an FTDI programmer for the pro mini so if you would like it programmed for you, send it to me with a SAE and I'll send it straight back. Feel free to chat off board as this will probably get a bit techy!

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198440

So today I ran out of excuses and it was time to fit it all in. The kit in the last picture fitted easily behind the switches and removing the light panel from the driver's footwell and dropping the fuse box cover panel took a few seconds. The wires ran over the steering column and were held together with a couple of cable ties. Removing the relay was a bit of a chore and took a few minutes. Engineering language helps. The final connections need to be made and I have to find a connection for the orange wire that connects to the indicators that I can break and insert a Y piece for the rollup trigger. The other three will plug into the relay socket so I may modify a spare relay to create a plug for the system. In the meantime, the switches and sockets were wired without difficulty and the illumination was briefly checked and found to be good. I ran out of light this evening so that was it for today. Tomorrow the system will go live.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted pics.

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198442

So relay board ordered along with the arduino. I have some veroboard to hand so may use that. However a printed board would be a better option of course, and make things tidy.
I will take you up on the offer to code the pro mini when it arrives. thanks

Another little project... 2 years 2 months ago #198445

Have had it running but I suspect that one of the connectors isn't very tight as it tends to run for a bit and then stop so a bit more time on the bench to test it. Not tinkering weather today. Top down weather. Went for a drive instead. Testing can wait until tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LanderMG

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT