Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 3 months ago #198159

Hi, after 6 years sadly the time has come to part with My F VVC onto pastures new.

I've had some seemingly serious interest from a guy who claims to be in America and is looking for a nice small sports car for his daughter. Wants an MGF and is taken by mine. However cannot import it for 2 more years due to the complex world of American inport laws. So has asked if I can instead store it for him here in the UK for 2 years.

I've advised him to go for an older one and import now but he is quite insistent on mine. I've told him if he organises storage and as of when I park it in the storage facility it is sold, he pays me, and I am no longer reasponsible for it, this ends our dealings, his car and no come backs for buying unseen. He is still very keen. And in the process of finding a unit to store it in.

All of this sets off my scammy-sensors. But I can't see how the scam works.... How can he benefit? So ... Can it be real ... ? If I get it bank transfer, and get him to email me saying he accepts responsibility for its current condition and no comebacks.... ?

What's people's thoughts?

(Sorry if the buyer reads this, please don't take offence, cautiousness is always the best way)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 3 months ago #198161

It sounds odd, but I have no idea if it is a scam, but sometimes if the sale seems too much trouble it is safest to walk away and look for a more "traditional" buyer, even if you loose a little bit financially.

Life is to complicated as it is, without adding more hassle!!!

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 3 months ago #198162

Be aware, there are a lot of scams comming from America. Scam is comming at the time he will ask for details about your bank account. You should not provide him anything about your bank account except IBAN number to which he pays. As soon he asks more because of this and that, or your credit card number and card details, you will know it is a scam and walk away. Do not give him anything as otherwise he will empty your bank account.

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 3 months ago #198163

Ask yourself why an absolute stranger would want to buy a car overseas, have it stored for 2 years at a cost which will out way any appreciation of a classic car, then pay again to have it transported to his home with only photographs and emails, he has to pay you so you give him all of your banking and personal detail where as you have none of his !!!, sorry but you are getting reeled in hook line and sinker, tell him unfortunately you suspect the head gasket is starting to give way, bet he is still interested, give him an IBAN number as Roverlike suggests, all of a sudden interest would be lost, sell your car in this country come spring it will be snapped up, don't get mugged.

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 3 months ago #198187

Thanks for all your responses.

Yep i agree, looks like a scam. I wont give out any details other than an iban, im going to let him keep "looking" for a unit to satisfy my curiosity. will put back on here what he comes back with, (or doesnt come back with).

Cheers, James

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 3 months ago #198189

Walk away.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 3 months ago #198193

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
yes, walk away. But keep us updated ;)
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 2 months ago #198286

The MGF needs to be 25 years old to import into America, the purchaser will need a Certificate of Conformity which will give/confirm the build date, these certificates cost around £150 and can only be supplied by a company formed by PWC (receivers) who hold the factory records.

Your buyer sounds stupid in his suggestions and it really smells, I , personally would walk away from this very quickly.

Am I about to be scammed. Advice? 2 years 2 months ago #198287

The moment you park it in the unit it will magically disappear ''Poof it's gone'' !!!! and you dont get paid, no car & no money.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT