Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF160 coolant tank cap leak 2 years 3 months ago #197814

I have a new to me TF and have been gingerly getting safe and right before I push it hard.

After new tyres, drop links, full alignment and tweaking of tyre pressures I felt confident to drive it. I took it to work and back yesterday and when I arrived home I got my bag from the boot and heard hissing.

I have read much about these cars and coolant but can anyone confirm the diagnosis below for me.

The level in the tank was high.

the cap is obviously not sealing completely as it hissed a bit but there must be a fair amount of pressure in there.

I could see coolant around the tank joint but I assume for now its coming from the cap.

I could hear a small amount of intermittent gurgling/bubbling from the coolant pipes. I assume that is because of a lack of pressure in the system allowing the coolant to boil slightly.

My plan is to......

get a new MG cap,
check how much coolant I might have lost to see how bad it got.
top up.
i also guess that as I had suspected boiling its best to bleed the system to ensure no air pockets.

Does anyone have any other insights that I should check do?

CHeers

Leigh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Shedifice.

Re:TF160 coolant tank cap leak 2 years 3 months ago #197815

Boiling over is a common trait of HGF but don't panic yet replace the expansion cap first they are well known for failure giving the symptoms you are experiencing but make sure you get a genuine replacement as pattern parts are known to be useless, good idea to bleed the system, start at the rad then heater matrix with the heater valve fully open then the engine coolant rails, some say to raise the rear to do this but I have found it un necessary as yhe coolant both is the highest part, afterwards top up with OAT coolant but Don't mix with normal coolant if that's what's in there if it is this points to possible previous owner bodging so change and flush, if a ok run engine to operating temp, can take around 20 mins from idle or longer in this temp after the fans engine and rad should operate at approx 106C and off around 98 and continue to cycle like this, if not and it still overheats then check both rad pipes are hot if not then stat is no good, over than that it could be air getting in so looks for leaks especially on the cool down cycle, air locks, bleed again HGF, sniff test the list goes on, good luck hopefully just the cap.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Re:TF160 coolant tank cap leak 2 years 3 months ago #197816

Thanks for that Steve. I'll start the goose chase tomorrow.

L.

Re:TF160 coolant tank cap leak 2 years 3 months ago #197834

I would start by replacing the header tank cap.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT