Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Air Con compressor failure 2 years 4 months ago #197804

I'm after so help/advice. My 02 160 is fitted with factory aircon. Yesterday following passing the MOT the compressor decided to seize and snap the drive belt. The garage is unable to find a replacement compressor and well remove the failed item so the car is mobile. So I'm hoping the collective can help solve this challenge:

1. The compressor is reportedly now unavailable, was the used on the TF unique?
2. If not unique does anyone know the OEM part number or even better if new recon ones are available?
3. Is the suitable substitute I.e. can the SAIC version be used instead with minor mods?
4. Finally, any recommendations for who could do the work? I'm based in West Wiltshire

Sorry for longish post but I'm really grateful for you help.

Gareth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Air Con compressor failure 2 years 4 months ago #197806

The SAIC version of the compressor is not a direct swap because the aircon pipe connections are different than the ones used on the earlier version of the compressor.

There must be an outfit that can rebuild these compressors. Aside from the mounting points, the compressor cannot be unique to the F/TF.
Mark
95 MGF

Air Con compressor failure 2 years 4 months ago #197807

It all depends on why it seized but there is a fair chance that the compressor is repairable. A good automotive Aircon supplier may be able to sell you parts or suggest somebody who rebuilds them.

Air Con compressor failure 2 years 4 months ago #197812

Try Darren Hardy at MGFNTFBITZ in Glossop. I would be surprised if he does not have one available.

Sundance

Air Con compressor failure 2 years 4 months ago #197813

The compressor itself will be fairly generic, the drive pulley, mountings and plumbing fittings may be unique to our cars.

My dad had a Rolls Royce, the compressor shat itself and a replacement was not readily available and was gonna cost the national debt......however close inspection revealed to only difference between the unit fitted to the roller and one fitted to a Chev Corvette was the drive pulley......swap over the pulleys and we were soon on our way, and with shitloads less bank balance trauma!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT