Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197780

I'm sure this will have been asked many times before - sorry!

The current cam belt on my TF has covered only 5000 miles, BUT is 6 years old. Am I right to be concerned about its age, rather than mileage? Is it time to get it changed?

Advice appreciated

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197781

Hi John,
The guide lines are 60,000 of 4 years which ever comes first, looks like your walking on egg shells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John in Devon

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197794

I have the cambelt changed on my MGF every four years even though the interval for the F is 5 years or 60,000 miles.

My F has done zero miles in the past two years!!!!!

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197797

I am in a similar position myself. My belt is four years old and has done 3.5k. I am on the fence but probs just need to bite the bullet and find time to change it.

I also wonder about many newer cars which have much longer intervals - often 10 years or a 100k for the cambelt change. Maybe In some cases they are different belts but on many engines the interval was extended to coincide with the new model of car despite the belt part number remaining the same....

At the end of the day it is your decision. Chances are it will probably be ok if you leave it longer, but if it does go the consequence s are high. You are likely looking at a new engine or a right off. Your call if it is worth the risk.

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197822

I recently had mine changed after 5 years, didn't realise the time had passed, it had only done 7,000 miles. Also had the alternator belt looked at and it was beginning to split, so may be worth looking at when you do the cam belt.

Last edit: Post by Larry Nicoll.

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197833

Hi and welcome to the forum John.

Rubber belts don't like resting while under tension so it's best to go on the age recommendation if doing low mileage.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197849

Thanks, all, for the advice. A change sounds like a good plan!

Cambelt change time? 2 years 4 months ago #197850

For the cost I would get your cam belt changed ASAP, water pump and tensioner too, Its just not worth taking the risk, I got one of the mobile mechanics to do mine which cost £150 all in including alternator belt. A shredded alternator belt can wrap itself around the crank pulley stopping the engine ,allowing the cam belt to snap or strip teeth causing valves and pistons to MIX !!! expensive :oops: :hgf: :hgf:
The following user(s) said Thank You: John in Devon

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT