Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

gearbox grind in reverse 2 years 4 months ago #197665

morning all can anyone tell me if and how to to adjust the gearbox linkages or is there a updated part that could stop the grind .
the car is fine in all other gears no problem has a new slave cylinder all bled right etc .
or is it just a worn gearbox .... has only 64000 mls on the clock .... cheers all in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

gearbox grind in reverse 2 years 4 months ago #197669

Before knocking it into reverse, try sliding it into first, first, you'll find it will go a lit easier.

gearbox grind in reverse 2 years 4 months ago #197672

They all 'Grind' if you just whack them into reverse, there is no synchromesh on this gear causing the grind as the gears slow down. I had a broken gear cable replaced, fitted a Mike Satur bell crank, new slave, new master cylinder and a ''Lotus'' slave stiffening bracket all of which have made selecting reverse almost noiseless, i also changed the gearbox oil with Castrol Synthtrans 75w90 which is slightly thicker than MTF 94. this was changed at 60,000 miles rather than the recommended 96,000 miles!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: chefsi65

gearbox grind in reverse 2 years 4 months ago #197681

You can solve the grinding reverse by shortening the lower cable at the bell crank.

Safely lift the rear of the car. With engine off, engage reverse.
At the Bell crank if you push the lower cable end in towards the front of the car, you'll feel reverse engage properly.

Pop off the Rose joint, wind the lock nut back and turn the Rose joint one turn inwards (clockwise.). Reattach joint and try engaging reverse gear with engine running.
If its still grinding repeat procedure. It took two turns in to cure my reverse grind.
Once it's cured, don't forget to tighten the lock nuti
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chefsi65

gearbox grind in reverse 2 years 4 months ago #197688

Fresh fluid in the box cures many evils.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT