Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Bleeding the clutch 2 years 5 months ago #197547

I recently replaced the brake fluid in my 2004 TF 135. Pretty straightforward. I have some DOT4 leftover and I thought it would be a good idea to replace the clutch fluid too.

I have read that bleeding the clutch can be a pain but I couldn't easily find anything on a fluid change alone. I don't have an Easybleed but I have a reasonably compliant helper. Do I proceed in basically the same way as bleeding the brakes? i.e:
  1. Top up clutch master cylinder
  2. press pedal
  3. Open bleed valve and allow fluid/air out
  4. Close bleed valve
  5. Raise pedal
  6. Repeat from 2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bleeding the clutch 2 years 5 months ago #197548

Well yes that's how most would do it . I think it's important to warn those who don't have sufficient knowledge that the problem with bleeding the F n TF clutch is that due to the clutch pipe having highs and lows in its run from front to back , is that if the system gets air in it , it can be a pain to get it to move . Especially if you have to replace the seals or cylinders . The master can also get air trapped in it . Pressure bleeding to physically assist the fluid through the system is easier .

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Finger trouble .

Bleeding the clutch 2 years 5 months ago #197551

I replaced the pipes on my master to slave cylinder and put a new slave cylinder on my TF a couple of years ago. It bled reasonably easy to be honest. Just takes a bit of time, but should pose no problems if done carefully.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, BruceTF135

Bleeding the clutch 2 years 5 months ago #197561

I used Gunson Eezibleed as my MGF is an early version with a clutch damper (they did away with the damper fairly early on) which I read could be a pain to bleed, so I purchased the Gunson kit.

It took me about 20 minutes to replace the existing fluid (which I do not think had ever been replaced) and bleed at the slave cylinder end. No problems were encountered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, BruceTF135

Bleeding the clutch 2 years 5 months ago #197570

The only difference to brake bleeding was I had to pull up the pedal rather than it return on the spring.
Incidentally my fluid was the original and came out looking like flat coca-cola!
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Bleeding the clutch 2 years 5 months ago #197573

Thanks, everybody. That seems straightforward enough. I don't think that mine has ever been changed either; certainly not since I've had it. The clutch seems to work fine but since I have some DOT4 leftover I thought that I might as well use it. I'll lube the lever while I am down there too. :broon:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT